Slip coupler sources

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you mean sliding repair couplings, they are available at any hardware, HD, etc. If you want a slip coupling such as a copper repair coupling, PVC does not work that way. Each socket must be what they call "interference fit" for the solvent weld to work properly. I have heard that someone actually makes a slip fitting, but I would be suspicious of it's ability to seal. Use the slide coupling...they work great.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
coupling

How are you differentiating between "slide" coupling and "slip" coupling? Is the slide coupling the push/compress and then pull/extend one? If so I have only seen them in PVC and they should only be used where the two pipes are secured so unwanted extension cannot occur.

Amopower

Reaction score
I read on the board here that when you are in a tight spot and need to T into an existing line that has little motion, you should use a slip coupler. Basically I have about 1.5' of cpvc coming vertical out of the hot water tank, and then a 90 degree elbow with about 1.5' going into a plaster wall. I was going to T into that vertical, but i dont know if i would have enough free play with just 1.5' to use a regular coupler. To me, a regular one has the ridge in the middle, while the slip coupler doesnt (so that you can just slide the coupler up the pipe and glue it in place).

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Re: Slip Coupler

I would consider using a pvc union connection to rejoin your piping system. I also have a Q, is the pvc connected directly to the water heater? If so, you need to remodel the connections so there is at least one ft of separation between the plastic piping and the w.h. esp. on the hot side. Use W.H. Flex connectors from the w.h. to the piping sys.
I always do this, when installing a pvc, cpvc, pex, or any plastic water piping, both on the cold water inlet, and especially on the hot water side supplying the house.
Good Luck,
Rudy

EAT "WILD ALASKA SALMON" IT'S GOOD FOR YOU AND YOURS!!!:) :)

Amopower

Reaction score
No the CPVC isnt directly connected, there's a transition fitting installed, so copper pipe is threaded to the water heater and not the CPVC.
DSC00143.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks