(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: FYI: American standard compact EL

Default FYI: American standard compact EL

I have been using a American standard compact EL for some time, but the design has a flaw at the exit flange area. It turns sharply and then has too small of a hole. I used a rotozip and cut off the flange to enlarge the hole.

Iíve had to do this twice since the first one cracked after 6 months.

It has been working for a long time without leaks, but Iím mainly thinking of the future and wondering if I can really leave it this way?

Or more importantly if they will ever fix the problem (if they havenít already)?

Default Re: American Standard Water Closets

I don't have a single clue as to why A.S. put 2 90deg turns at the waste outlet of the water closet bowl, and to my mind it's ridiculous. Water is supposed to flow and efficiently. There is nothing effficient about 2 (count em) 90deg turns in a water closet flush tube. And Kohler does the same thing.

If I am reccomending a new Water Closet I inform the client, that he wants neither brand, in the "competive cost range". I ALWAYS reccomend a w.c. with a smooth flow to exit.

One more thing, w.c. outlets used to be at least 2-1/2"dia., on these "competive" units the exit hole approaches 2" in dia. Is some poor starving plumber designing these bowls so that he has work unplugging them after normal use or what?

I have even sent them, AM STD & Kohler e-mails inquiring why they have redesigned a good working w.c. to an ugly no-flow P.O.S. that they are trying to foist on an unsuspecting public. Can anyone enlighten me?

I hope so,
    Rudy

EAT "WILD ALASKA SALMON" IT'S GOOD FOR YOU AND YOURS!!!

I think part of the problem is that they design to the golf ball standard.
    I donít know anyone that produces small hard round items.

They really should make a better testing standard that includes different shapes and densities.

Try flushing several 3-inch long 2-inch wide oblong pieces with some toilet paper thrown in. This particular design would fail as it has a pocket just after the sharp 90-degree bend downwards.

The pointed part sticks into the pocket. I removed the toilet while it was plugged just to see where it plugged.