Toto Drake toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

loriun

Reaction score
I just had one installed by a plumber. After he left, I lifted the tank to look inside and noticed the back right hand top of the tank had a chunk missing from it. When I called to complain that I wanted the defective toilet replaced by one that didn't have a piece missing, I was told by the plumber that this is how all the Toto tanks were designed. Judging from some of the pictures of open tank tops on this site - that doesn't seem to be the case. Do any of you who own Toto toliets have this "cut-away" feature to allow air to flow in the tank (as the plumber put it). Or am I being duped?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

Most Drake tanks look like this. Changes can always happen though.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Does it look like it is broken with sharp jagged edges or molded that way?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What Cass asked. My Drake looks like Terry's picture. Given the non-hermetic seal of the tank top, I can't think of any reason why there would be an intentional gap molded in, and several reasons not to.

Oops. Wrote the previous post at the office. Now I'm home, and I checked the toilet. Found it has the little half-circle cutout at the top of the right-hand side of the back. It almost looks like it was cut after it was molded, rather than molded in. I still can't think of a good reason to do that.

Well, maybe one reason would be to give you a place to stick a finger in to help you lift the top off.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are several brands that do have a gap at the back of the tank.
If it's intentional, I don't see a problem with it.
I could even argue for the gap, to let air in when the water drops out.
An even better question would be,
Which works better, gap or no gap.

Last edited:

chaoster

Reaction score
I have two Toto Drakes. One in August and one about two weeks ago. Both have a sight cutout on the back right side. Like a half circle. Don't know what it's there for. It is smooth and looks like it was made that way so I didn't think to question it.

loriun

Reaction score
Toto Drake

It sounds like I do have one with the tank "cut-out". Can anyone speculate what the reason for this would be? I called a Toto distributor and they acted like I was nuts. Thanks for your input.

andersod2

Reaction score
Toto Drake cutout

I installed a Drake and had the same Q - the distributor didn't know, but asked Toto - it's intentional, not a defect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks