(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Where to find exterior decorative aluminum shutters?

Default Where to find exterior decorative aluminum shutters?

Need to find a pair of 16" x 56" aluminum louvered shutters for the front of the house. Wife knocked them off the sawhorses while I was painting them, and ran over them with the car.

I searched Home Depot's website, and all they had was plastic, or pine. Would like to stick with aluminum if possible. Lowe's didn't have anything on their website. Other web searches turned up mostly hurricane-rated shutters.

It's possible my shutters are out of production, because I think they are original from 1950, but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

I think your wife was trying to tell you something.

Mikey, you know, sometimes I wonder!

I found some highish-end custom cedar shutters from a place near Philadelphia. Nice product with mortise and tenon joinery. They are the fully functional type with hinges, tie-back hardware, locks, etc. Think 18th century bluestone farm house. Also found a brochure from a made-to-order place at Home Depot where they make pine shutters in a variety of standard sizes.

Other option is vinyl, which I am not going to go with. Looks nasty IMHO but that's just me.

So looks like I'll go with wood, either in the surface mount or hinged variety. I'll leave it for a spring project.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Default They're out there

I just Googled "aluminum shutters" and got tons of hits. They're available in both decorative and hurricane-rated. Here's one of the decorative outfits:

http://www.decorativeshutters.com/al..._shutters.html

Basic 16x56 were $471/pair, hinges and holdbacks included. Several colors, mullion position specifiable.
    Last edited by Mikey; 10-22-2006 at 03:22 PM.