Kohler Rochelle K3385-EB Ballcock & Flushvalve Replacement and Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveF

Reaction score
Rochelle Kohler

Have replaced all the rubber on the unit and the hex nut(part) right on top ( part number 51288) still gushes water during the fill cycle. After it shuts off, it is ok. Any thought on how to stop the gushing during the fill cycle? The water is leaking into the white plastic tube..somehow it gets in the tube even though the slip washer is new and then the water drips out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Limuobai

Reaction score
I finally figured out my K3385 problem. I filled the tank and then turned off the water supply. After 1/2 hour, the whole tank of water is gone. The final water level is sitting right at the rim of the tank seal where the flapper sits. To be safe, I changed out the flapper, the tank rubber seal, and other rubber parts with genuine Kohler parts. The problem persists!!! I then noticed the flapper is not sitting on the metal ring tightly. I pressed down the flapper to create a tight seal, and repeat the experiment. The water didn't go lower for 2 hours. So I readjusted the lift wire carefully so that it won't put up lift pressure on the flapper after flushing. So far so good but not sure how long it will last. I would say this is a design flaw by Kohler. No professional engineer would let such a lousy design sold to the market place.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I skimmed through this thread looking for some humor. I found it. It amazes me no end why anyone would spend more money for a part to fix an old obsolete toilet than a brand new Toto. (several models cost less than this part). Even when the repair is made, the toilet is a first generation low flow, and this is the generation that earned low flow toilets their bad reputation. Even American Standard work pretty well now... if you can find one that is not lopsided, patched, or otherwise defective from the factory.

Limuobai

Reaction score
Not if you have a matching Kohler sink, tiled floor, tiled wall, ..., etc.

I skimmed through this thread looking for some humor. I found it. It amazes me no end why anyone would spend more money for a part to fix an old obsolete toilet than a brand new Toto. (several models cost less than this part). Even when the repair is made, the toilet is a first generation low flow, and this is the generation that earned low flow toilets their bad reputation. Even American Standard work pretty well now... if you can find one that is not lopsided, patched, or otherwise defective from the factory.

MoFoJoe

Reaction score
Not if you have a matching Kohler sink, tiled floor, tiled wall, ..., etc.

^This is the exact same reason why I am out searching for replacement parts for my 1982 Kolher Pompton toilet. When you have matching Kolher steeping whirlpool bath, Kolher dual sinks and Kolher 4' shower stall and those colors were the anchor points of your bathroom decor.........parts replacement makes sense to me.

Last edited:

MoFoJoe

Reaction score
I guess we all have our own priorities. Mine is to have appliances that perform like they should. Now I'm not going to mix stripes with polka dots, or pink with orange, but if I have a new top of the line toilet that is a different color than my bath tub and that bothers you, then you can just hold it until you get to your home where the colors match but the toilet clogs and is unreliable.

.....and I guess when my 1982 Kolher Pompton developes similar symptoms such that you mention, I may. For a 1982 all Kolher bathroom with only once replacing the toilet flush ball and now #51429 for 5 bucks locally, I'm pleased. Would I buy Kolher again?....Never, but it is what it is and I sure do like the (peace of mind) built-in over flow design protection....

Edit:....and I have untreated well water

Last edited:

Eddie_T

Reaction score
IMO the Kohler Rochelle is hands down the best looking toilet I have seen to date. It's too bad they are expensive to fix, but mine were installed in 1973 and still look great. They are color matched to tub/shower and lavatory any of the new toilets on the market would look like an escapee from a hospital if installed in my baths. Mine are still using the original mechanisms and have a quiet flush, but have to be tweaked every few months.

Mrrich

Reaction score
Kohler Rochelle tank fitting repair

I have 4 Kohler Rochelle toilets. Several years back I replaced the entire brass/copper tank fitting (coupla hundred bucks each) on 2 of them, worked fine. Now, all (4) of them are acting up again. I rebuilt 3 so far with ALL new parts (gaskets, seals, rotor, plunger kit, etc). 1 works fine now. 2 of them still won't completely shut off even with all new parts. Even holding the float arm up manually does not shut off water flow. Could it be the brass/copper fitting has gotten pitted or worn out so that water is leaking out the sides of the new seat? Any suggestions short of replacing the entire unit, (up around $300.00 now)? Maybe a bunch of teflon tape on seat, and grinding down where the seat goes a bit with a Dremel?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Two more pictures

k-3385_parts_4.jpg

k-3385_parts_5.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I've said before, Kohler likes to do things their own way and is severely infected with NIH (not invented here) syndrome...they like to do things their own way, and as a result, their volume is lower and prices are higher for many repair parts. And because of the volume, there aren't too many aftermarket companies that find it economical or possible (maybe because of patents?) to make replacement parts. I do like some of their stuff, but you should go into the purchase knowing that it is a style statement, and not necessarily a quality one, and you pay for this privilege. I'm by no mean saying they make bad stuff, although not that much is world class, either. It's just that repair, when the time comes, can sometimes be problematic. Now, if they'd come up with a good design and stick with it, I'd be happier, at least on the guts. Style is personal, and I'm not touching that!

Gdeoliveira

Reaction score
whole assembly is stuck.

Remove the tank ball, and then "loosen the bolt" underneath it. Once it is loose enough you can lift and slide the flush valve to one side, work one end of the "toggle bolt" out of the hole and then slide the other side out also.

my flush assembly is stuck. am I missing something? it is disconnected from the water supply, but seems to be stuck where the flush ball nest is. can anyone help me? the toilette is out of order and we kind of need it working.

Rochelle, new style repir kit 30668.

thank you,

geraldo de oliveira

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks