Kohler Rochelle K3385-EB Ballcock & Flushvalve Replacement and Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

LesMan

Reaction score
I have (6) Kohler Rochelle toilets in my house... and I'm wondering if they might be the source of the groaning, moaning, vibrating noise that occasionally occurs at random times.

I'm curious to know if there are any "NEW TECHNOLOGY OEM REPLACEMENTS" for the Ballcock assembly that is inside the tank. This one currently uses the float ball on a long rod / arm.

I've attached a picture of the current assembly. I'm wondering where I might find either an OEM Replacement, or a newer style that might be more reliable??

Thanks in advance,

BallCock.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LesMan

Reaction score
Or... would you suggest a REBUILD KIT??

If such a thing exists... would it be more prudent to just rebuilt the existing unit with new gaskets, washers, seals and valves?

Is there a KIT available?

Thanks again.

blogtim

Reaction score
rebuild kit exists

You can get it from a plumber or Kohler, it is part 30668. Don't throw away the old parts - they are actually worth something. I for one am willing to pay for the lift wire, my sister threw away the old one and the new one has too light of a gauge. Ack!

rochelle_inside_tank.jpg

Scripto

Reaction score
Kohler Toilet, K-3385EB Rochelle one-piece needs parts

My mother has a Kohler toilet which I am looking for replacment parts for. My problem is I cannot locate this model online, and have no clue what the model number is. I have attached several pictures to help identify this model. Anyone's assistance is appreciated.

rochelle_01.jpg
rochelle_02.jpg
rochelle_03.jpg
rochelle_04.jpg

kslerner

Reaction score
Kohler "Old Style" Rochelle Valve Shut-off Problem, K-3385-EB

kohler_discontinued.jpg
I have a Kohler "Old Style" Rochelle Model #K-3385-EB (30886) which is leaking down the back of the toilet indicating that the valve is not completely shutting off. I can hear a slight trickle of water even after the ballcock is in the closed position. When I pull up on the ball by hand the water shuts off, but it won't shut off due to a rising water level in the tank, even if I bend the rod down lower. I have replaced the following parts (51251, 51420, 51250, 51288, 20504, 51291, 51435, 51444, 51230, 53154, 50159, 51350). I have completely replaced the valve parts with no success; there is still a trickle I can't get rid of. I can't understand why the valve is not shutting off. Kohler has not been helpful on this point. To replace the entire unit would cost $350.00, probablly not a good investment for a 15 year old toilet. Should I buyt a new part 51428? Can you offer any suggestions for why there is still a leak and how to fix it other than replacing the entire fixture?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is exactly the main reason people sometimes shy away from Kohler...they 'roll their own' and often use custom designs, then because the production is low, and they change it often, aftermarket usually doesn't make parts available, either. I do like the way much of their stuff looks, but it can be a bear to keep it working. No way would I spend $350 to replace that part...I'd much rather invest that money into a new toilet that probably would work better and save water and sewer costs with each flush AND I could get repair parts for cheaply and easily. The vast majority of toilets out there use a few common parts. Unless it is a weird designer color, maybe now is the time to look into something newer. All of the newe toilets are required to use 1.6g, and that may change to 1.28g. Many work quite well with that lower flush volume.

If you are lucky, you may be able to fit a 'convential' fill valve into your toilet, but a plumber, familiar with that, would be needed to tell. If so, then, the entire mechanism could be replace for less than $15 off-the-shelf from nearly any plumbing or big box store.

Goran

Reaction score
KOHLER Rochelle Toilet K 3385 EB repair & installation

Hi,

I have KOHLER ROCHELLE Toilet Model K3385 EB.
It was leaking(Not an obvious leak)But water meter suggested the leak.
So I just purchased 350$ repair kit(Part # 30668) from Kohler.
I really feel bad now about spending so much money on an old toilet & I would really love if someone can show me how to install this kit
Is there any link or video available?
I really appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Goran

Goran

Reaction score
KOHLER ROCHELLE Toilet Model K-3385 EB Repair Kit/Installation

Hi,

I have KOHLER ROCHELLE Toilet Model K-3385 EB.
It was leaking(Not an obvious leak)But water meter suggested the leak.
So I just purchased 350$ repair kit(Part # 30668) from Kohler.
I really feel bad now about spending so much money on an old toilet & I would really love if someone can show me how to install this kit
Is there any link or video available?
I really appreciate your help.
Thanks.
I have also posted this in Toilet Forum as I am unsure which forum installation of toilet repair kit will go to?
Goran

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I can't help with how to install it, I've never seen one. But, if it was I, I'd return the kit and buy a new toilet for probably about the same price (or less, depending on style). If it's a weird color, maybe I'd keep it, but probably not. There are lots of toilets out there that work well where the parts are cheap. Check out some of the Toto line, would be my first choice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Remove the tank ball, and then "loosen the bolt" underneath it. Once it is loose enough you can lift and slide the flush valve to one side, work one end of the "toggle bolt" out of the hole and then slide the other side out also.

Jnawrocki

Reaction score
You can get the complete rebuilt kit from Plumber Surplus on the web for 237.50 with free shipping. They also have the toilet seats in most colors.

Last edited:

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Ball Arm Oscillation

I have a new problem, the ball arm oscillates on occasion and makes weird thumping noises. I altered the intensity of the oscillation by placing a rubber band around the arm and the valve.

I too have problems with available lift wires, both Ace and Lowes have made in China wires which are aluminum plated to appear as brass. I have low ph water and the aluminum doesn't last long. I solved the problem by using heavy copper wire to make the lift wire. I threaded the soft copper by using a nut as a die.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
A new problem the 51344 shaft eases out to the point that it hangs the lift mechanism. If I push it back in place it stays for a few days then creeps out again. I haven't tried pulling it all the way out so I don't know what is supposed to hold it in place. What appears to be a white crown nut is in place so my guess is that the shaft must be made of two parts and the crown is holding the other part in place but the shaft slips out of the larger part.

BizzyBeePlumbing

Reaction score
I know you have 6 of these in your house, but I would just replace them. Old Kohler is expensive to repair and a ton of the aftermarket parts are horribly made and by reading your last post, you are figuring this out.. Weird things happen with aftermarket parts on Kohler toilet.

I always recommend 2 piece toilets, but if you like your one piece Kohler has made some great changes to new their one piece toilets and they are not hard and expensive to fix now. Bit the bullet and upgrade. You will be happy for another 15-25 years instead of trying to fix these every year.

Reefer

Reaction score
View attachment 12285
I have a Kohler "Old Style" Rochelle Model #K-3385-EB (30886) which is leaking down the back of the toilet indicating that the valve is not completely shutting off. I can hear a slight trickle of water even after the ballcock is in the closed position. When I pull up on the ball by hand the water shuts off, but it won't shut off due to a rising water level in the tank, even if I bend the rod down lower. I have replaced the following parts (51251, 51420, 51250, 51288, 20504, 51291, 51435, 51444, 51230, 53154, 50159, 51350). I have completely replaced the valve parts with no success; there is still a trickle I can't get rid of. I can't understand why the valve is not shutting off. Kohler has not been helpful on this point. To replace the entire unit would cost $350.00, probablly not a good investment for a 15 year old toilet. Should I buyt a new part 51428? Can you offer any suggestions for why there is still a leak and how to fix it other than replacing the entire fixture?

I do NOT see part number 51419 (Seat) listed on you replaced parts list. This seat can be removed with an allen wrench (not sure of the size). If the very top of this seat is not totally smooth, the water will not shut off completely. Put your finger on it and twist it around...maybe you will feel a "burr". Even if you DON'T, I'd replace that item first. Also if the level of the water in your tank is too high the water will continue to run into the rim around bowl. See if the water level is above the "hole" in the front of your tank. There is a short hose that runs from the unit into the rim of the bowl. It is up high...at the water level...and runs frontwards towards the front of the toilet into the rim around the bowl. That's the rim with all the little holes in it...you can feel them by running your hand under the rim.
Lastly, if part number 51428(Cap & Float Lever Assembly) is not totally clean, the "plunger" will not slide up and down easily. This could cause that problem, which say can be fixed by lifting the ball up.
Take that part off the clean the "hole" with a stiff brush using Brasso, or some other brass cleaner. Sometimes a build-up of calcium-like crud can form there. For a brush, go to a auto parts store and buy a cheap spark plug adjuster...sometimes they come with a brush. Call Autozone and see if they have a brush like that. If the hole is clean, the o-ring will make good contact with the sides. Good luck.

Limuobai

Reaction score
I do NOT see part number 51419 (Seat) listed on you replaced parts list. This seat can be removed with an allen wrench (not sure of the size). If the very top of this seat is not totally smooth, the water will not shut off completely. Put your finger on it and twist it around...maybe you will feel a "burr". Even if you DON'T, I'd replace that item first. Also if the level of the water in your tank is too high the water will continue to run into the rim around bowl. See if the water level is above the "hole" in the front of your tank. There is a short hose that runs from the unit into the rim of the bowl. It is up high...at the water level...and runs frontwards towards the front of the toilet into the rim around the bowl. That's the rim with all the little holes in it...you can feel them by running your hand under the rim.
Lastly, if part number 51428(Cap & Float Lever Assembly) is not totally clean, the "plunger" will not slide up and down easily. This could cause that problem, which say can be fixed by lifting the ball up.
Take that part off the clean the "hole" with a stiff brush using Brasso, or some other brass cleaner. Sometimes a build-up of calcium-like crud can form there. For a brush, go to a auto parts store and buy a cheap spark plug adjuster...sometimes they come with a brush. Call Autozone and see if they have a brush like that. If the hole is clean, the o-ring will make good contact with the sides. Good luck.
Hi, Kslerner, Did you try Reefer's suggestion? Did it work? I'm having the same problem. I bought a 10" ball cock arm to extend the total length from the original 12" (including ball) to 15". That help a lot but not completely shutting off the water. I can still hear a tiny little bit of hissing. I'd like to find a perfect solution.

Grazzy

Reaction score
K-3385 repair

I am still stuck with a couple of these brass units that sell for anywhere from $240 to $389. I took an impact wrench and a 1-1/16" socket to remove the check plunger which has a groove and a little gasket (part no. 20504) that seems to have failed, causing the continuous leaking whether the ballcock arm is held upward or not. There are no other parts in this side of the unit. On the side fastened with the two screws is another plunger kit that is readily available online and from Fergusons and other parts supply places. I believe most of the leaking occurs in one of these two locations or from allowing the water level to come up too high and flow thru the upper part of the toilet into the bowl. It is critical to stop the ballcock at the water line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks