(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kohler Rochelle K3385-EB Ballcock & Flushvalve Replacement and Repair

Question Kohler Rochelle K3385-EB Ballcock & Flushvalve Replacement and Repair

I have (6) Kohler Rochelle toilets in my house... and I'm wondering if they might be the source of the groaning, moaning, vibrating noise that occasionally occurs at random times.

I'm curious to know if there are any "NEW TECHNOLOGY OEM REPLACEMENTS" for the Ballcock assembly that is inside the tank. This one currently uses the float ball on a long rod / arm.

I've attached a picture of the current assembly. I'm wondering where I might find either an OEM Replacement, or a newer style that might be more reliable??

Thanks in advance,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 05-16-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Default Or... would you suggest a REBUILD KIT??

If such a thing exists... would it be more prudent to just rebuilt the existing unit with new gaskets, washers, seals and valves?

Is there a KIT available?

Thanks again.

Default rebuild kit exists

You can get it from a plumber or Kohler, it is part 30668. Don't throw away the old parts - they are actually worth something. I for one am willing to pay for the lift wire, my sister threw away the old one and the new one has too light of a gauge. Ack!
    Last edited by Terry; 05-27-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Default Kohler Toilet, K-3385EB Rochelle one-piece needs parts

My mother has a Kohler toilet which I am looking for replacment parts for. My problem is I cannot locate this model online, and have no clue what the model number is. I have attached several pictures to help identify this model. Anyone's assistance is appreciated.
    Last edited by Terry; 03-01-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895

It may be this part.
    You can get it from a plumber or Kohler, it is part K-30668.

Attached Images
    Last edited by Terry; 05-16-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here are some more pictures of a Rochelle
    Last edited by Terry; 05-28-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Default Kohler "Old Style" Rochelle Valve Shut-off Problem, K-3385-EB

Name:  kohler_discontinued.jpg
Views: 5394
Size:  10.8 KB
    I have a Kohler "Old Style" Rochelle Model #K-3385-EB (30886) which is leaking down the back of the toilet indicating that the valve is not completely shutting off. I can hear a slight trickle of water even after the ballcock is in the closed position. When I pull up on the ball by hand the water shuts off, but it won't shut off due to a rising water level in the tank, even if I bend the rod down lower. I have replaced the following parts (51251, 51420, 51250, 51288, 20504, 51291, 51435, 51444, 51230, 53154, 50159, 51350). I have completely replaced the valve parts with no success; there is still a trickle I can't get rid of. I can't understand why the valve is not shutting off. Kohler has not been helpful on this point. To replace the entire unit would cost $350.00, probablly not a good investment for a 15 year old toilet. Should I buyt a new part 51428? Can you offer any suggestions for why there is still a leak and how to fix it other than replacing the entire fixture?
    Last edited by Terry; 02-09-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

This is exactly the main reason people sometimes shy away from Kohler...they 'roll their own' and often use custom designs, then because the production is low, and they change it often, aftermarket usually doesn't make parts available, either. I do like the way much of their stuff looks, but it can be a bear to keep it working. No way would I spend $350 to replace that part...I'd much rather invest that money into a new toilet that probably would work better and save water and sewer costs with each flush AND I could get repair parts for cheaply and easily. The vast majority of toilets out there use a few common parts. Unless it is a weird designer color, maybe now is the time to look into something newer. All of the newe toilets are required to use 1.6g, and that may change to 1.28g. Many work quite well with that lower flush volume.

If you are lucky, you may be able to fit a 'convential' fill valve into your toilet, but a plumber, familiar with that, would be needed to tell. If so, then, the entire mechanism could be replace for less than $15 off-the-shelf from nearly any plumbing or big box store.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Are you using OEM parts? Here is the kohler parts page for that toilet:http://www.kohlerserviceparts.kohler...00678a8b182932

Last edited by Terry; 06-15-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Default KOHLER Rochelle Toilet K 3385 EB repair & installation

Hi,

I have KOHLER ROCHELLE Toilet Model K3385 EB.
    It was leaking(Not an obvious leak)But water meter suggested the leak.
    So I just purchased 350$ repair kit(Part # 30668) from Kohler.
    I really feel bad now about spending so much money on an old toilet & I would really love if someone can show me how to install this kit
    Is there any link or video available?
    I really appreciate your help.
    Thanks.
    Goran

Default KOHLER ROCHELLE Toilet Model K-3385 EB Repair Kit/Installation

Hi,

I have KOHLER ROCHELLE Toilet Model K-3385 EB.
    It was leaking(Not an obvious leak)But water meter suggested the leak.
    So I just purchased 350$ repair kit(Part # 30668) from Kohler.
    I really feel bad now about spending so much money on an old toilet & I would really love if someone can show me how to install this kit
    Is there any link or video available?
    I really appreciate your help.
    Thanks.
    I have also posted this in Toilet Forum as I am unsure which forum installation of toilet repair kit will go to?
    Goran
    Last edited by Terry; 06-15-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I can't help with how to install it, I've never seen one. But, if it was I, I'd return the kit and buy a new toilet for probably about the same price (or less, depending on style). If it's a weird color, maybe I'd keep it, but probably not. There are lots of toilets out there that work well where the parts are cheap. Check out some of the Toto line, would be my first choice.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Remove the tank ball, and then "loosen the bolt" underneath it. Once it is loose enough you can lift and slide the flush valve to one side, work one end of the "toggle bolt" out of the hole and then slide the other side out also.

You can get the complete rebuilt kit from Plumber Surplus on the web for 237.50 with free shipping. They also have the toilet seats in most colors.
    Last edited by jnawrocki; 06-24-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: ****************

Default Ball Arm Oscillation

I have a new problem, the ball arm oscillates on occasion and makes weird thumping noises. I altered the intensity of the oscillation by placing a rubber band around the arm and the valve.

I too have problems with available lift wires, both Ace and Lowes have made in China wires which are aluminum plated to appear as brass. I have low ph water and the aluminum doesn't last long. I solved the problem by using heavy copper wire to make the lift wire. I threaded the soft copper by using a nut as a die.