Rerouting gas pipe for basement rec room

Users who are viewing this thread

PATNJ

Experienced handy man
Reaction score
I have a gas pipe that I want to reroute for a basement remodel. It is installed about 8" from the wall, and runs in front of the window. I will hire a plumber to do the actual gas pipe work, but I'm doing the framing and everything else. I have a few questions that I'm hoping I can get some experienced advice on.

Is it OK to run the gas pipe in the floor joist cavity in the ceiling?
Is it OK to run the pipe through a joist or joists?
How should I protect the pipe if it winds up in a wall?
How much is reasonable to pay for the pipe work? The pipe run is about 10'. The pipe is currently 8" from the basement wall and needs to be about 3". Assuming it is OK to run in a joist cavity, the work would convert a straight run to a U-shaped run.

Thanks.

PATNJ

Experienced handy man
Reaction score
black pipe

The gas pipe is black pipe

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can't just cut in the middle of the line and move that portion of the line. It will have to be removed from the fixture back. Or it could be cut near a fitting and flex pipe run from that fitting to the fixture. It all depends on the distance to the fixture. Yes they can be run in a joist and the installer should know what to do to protect the pipe. Call the plumber and let them tell you the best way to run it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas pipe

Why can't they cut it in the middle? Taking it apart, especially if there are several branches to various appliances could be a "nightmare" and would have the potential for causing leaks. It can be reconnected with the approved left/right nipple as long as the plumber knows how to use it.

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
hj said:
Why can't they cut it in the middle? Taking it apart, especially if there are several branches to various appliances could be a "nightmare" and would have the potential for causing leaks. It can be reconnected with the approved left/right nipple as long as the plumber knows how to use it.

I am not a plumber.

In my necl of the woods, inspectors do not like "unions". They do, though, approve of "reverse thread fittings".

What unions and "reverse thread fittings" are meant to solve is the problem of cutting black pip in the middle of a run. There is no way of inserting a new gas pipe or pipes with standard fittings. Once you tighten one end then you loosen the other.

A revers thread fitting solves that problem. When you tighten the pipe then you also tighten the normal thread fitting and the reverse thread fitting.

Anyone know why inspectors don't like unions (fittings)? Plus, unions must be "accessible". You can't bury a union in a wall.

I'm guessing unions leak. But should a pressure test catch any problems?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks