Installing a bladder tank horizontally?

Users who are viewing this thread

hlbmab

Reaction score
Is there any reason I can't install a bladder tank horizontally on a shallow well jet pump system? The reason I ask is that I want to put the pump inside a plastic storage bin that is only two feet high.

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
hlbmab said:
Is there any reason I can't install a bladder tank horizontally on a shallow well jet pump system? The reason I ask is that I want to put the pump inside a plastic storage bin that is only two feet high.
I have a goulds v200 burrial tank, spects say it is a vertical tank, but it is burried horozontal. No problems with it so far, and its been in the ground since 1993. Hopefully someone who knows more will answer.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Just an educated guess but while they work on a balance of air and water pressure, they are designed to work vertically. Gravity would be pulling on the bladder in a direction that it wasn't designed for.

After saying all that I would guess that it would work but it may shorten the working life of he tank.

As far as hlbmab having his buried, moisture will eat up the steel and I would guess that it would be a much bigger job to replace it when the time comes.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If you must bury it, get a buriable version from any pump or most plumbing supply house and bury it. Putting it in a garbage can isn't going to make it last longer, just harder to fix when it doesn't work.

If this is a new construction design, dont forget to leave space for the water treatment equipment somewhere out there in your future... like a week after moving in.

V

vaplumber

A bladder tank or any captive air type tank does not depend on gravity at all for water dis-charge. You can install it vertical, horizontal, or upside down with no aefect. The only purpose of the hor to vert designation concerns the legs that it stands on and the mounting plate for pump mounting. For burried use, I would suggest a burrial model, however experience shows that the bladder in an ordinary tank will fail way before burrial will have a chance to damage the tank it self. Bikerboy, yours is a burrial tank, but not many people spent the time or the money maintaing there stuff like you do. Hell, if you fart, you call some one in to examine every thing!:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks