Tub not draining

Users who are viewing this thread

rrgnjd

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first time on the site and I thank you in advance for any advice that you give.

My tub is not draining. In the past when this has happened I have used a recommended liquid and/or a shower snake and it has worked. Neither of these are working this time.

The water is barely going down. When I use the snake it almost feels like I am hitting metal.

Any advice?

Thank You!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The snake should work, are you snaking from the overflow or from the drain in the bottom of the tub?

Does the drain have a strainer grid or does the drain pop up?

rrgnjd

Reaction score
It is a strainer grid. I have tried the snake from the drain at the bottom of the tub and have unscrewed the stopper lever over the spout and snaked there as well.

I don't think there is an overflow.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Does your spout come through the tub or out of the wall above the rim of the tub?

Will never get a snake to go very far through the drain grid.

Must be a very unusual tub. Some were put in a long time ago. You can get access to the drain without taking the plumbing apart by going into the access side of the bath tub. Probably an old cast iron trap and most times it's hard to get any snake through it. You would be lucky if that trap were a tubing trap.

rrgnjd

Reaction score
The spout comes out of the wall above the rim of the tub.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding the term drain grid. There is just a metal piece with holes that cover the drain. It can be unscrewed and removed. What is the access side of the tub? The house is about 50-60 years old.

I've tried to go in through the hole where the drain stop mechanism is housed but to no avail.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Do not take the tub drain or don't unscrew the grid where the water leaves the tub!

To look for an access go around to the room directly on the other side of the tub faucet and look for a 20"x30" or so access door. If it's a bedroom it could be in the closet. I would guess a house that old would have one. You need to see at least where your trying to put the snake.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
plumber1 said:
Do not take the tub drain or don't unscrew the grid where the water leaves the tub!

Why is that???? The grid should be held in by 1 screw in the middle of the grid.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
The grid could also mean the + that's in the outlet that some plumbers use to tighten that fitting into the shoe.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You may have an old iron trap and that may be what you are hitting. How old is the house?

rrgnjd

Reaction score
The grid is in fact held by one screw and I have taken it on and off with no problem. The wall that the tub faucet is on is an outside wall, over a stairwell. The house is about 50 years old. The bath was probably renovated once.

There is no overflow hole. I have in the past removed the lever that keeps the tub from draining, and snaked in ther, but I was told that would have no effect.

What is the iron trap? If that's it, what do I do?
Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks