One handle shower valves...

Users who are viewing this thread

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, why do some folks like valves with IPS fitting and other like sweat? Seems to me that IPS, especially when working with PEX is a no-brainer.

What's your take?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pex

Some of us still know how to work with copper so the sweat valve eliminates a possible leak at a threaded connection. But since many of the newer valves have a combintion male thread and solder socket, it is less of a decision.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A few years ago, I would say that the IPS versions were provided as a convenience to DIY'ers. Today, with PEX more prevalent, there is the necessity at some point to transition to the PEX via a non-heated fitting.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
jimbo said:
A few years ago, I would say that the IPS versions were provided as a convenience to DIY'ers. Today, with PEX more prevalent, there is the necessity at some point to transition to the PEX via a non-heated fitting.

Thank you for the reply jimbo. Nice to meet you. :)

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
hj said:
Some of us still know how to work with copper so the sweat valve eliminates a possible leak at a threaded connection. But since many of the newer valves have a combintion male thread and solder socket, it is less of a decision.

Ahh... I see, so threaded fittings leak and copper is better. I'll have to look around for a plumber who sweats pipe for natural gas then. :eek:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Come on Pete.............Threaded valves were also used when houses were piped galv. And doing replacements it was much better than converting to copper to galvanized pipe.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Or you can still use black pipe properly and it is perfect for gas. Just like PEX is perfect for pot. water.

Provided the person installing it knows how to work with it.

:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

In some areas, apparently you can use copper for gas, although it should be silver solder/brazed. Statement was that a threaded joint on a brass shower valve can leak, while a proper solder joint will not. How does that say anything about a black steel gas line?

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It was implied that if the connection is sweated instead of threaded you will not get a leak. In that implication in whereas, "some of us still know..." that people who don't know how to sweat a pipe use the threaded version (not the case, but I was illustrating the inaccuracy by making the threaded gas pipe comment) - If a thread connection isn't good enough for water, well then, it certainly isn't good enough for gas. (Not accurate since we all know that gas is most often run in black *threaded* pipe).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks