Toilet Draining Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

zippo201

Reaction score
Hi All. I recently completed a garage addition to my home. The builder roughed in plumbing for a full bathroom. I framed in the bathroom and hooked up water and sewer this past weekend. Problem is the addition's sewer line is just a little bit lower than the connection to the exsisting main line to the septic tank so, being a gravity fed line there is standing water in the pipe ( I opened the cleanout valve to confirm this). The toilet is very slow to flush, I have to hold the handle down until all the water goes out of the bowl. It does flush however I am afraid to use it as I imagine the line will just clog up. The bathtub and sink drain just fine with no backup.Will this water eventually make it to the septic tank? It is about about a 26 foot run from where the sewer pipe exits the garage to the septic tank. Short of "lowering" the septic tank what solutions are there?I did a web search and noticed that there are sewage pumps out there. Is this the solution to push the water/sewage up the pipe to the septic tank? Would I be able to hook one up externally? Say I splice it in-between where the sewage line exits the building and the sewage line to the septic tank? Any thoughts? Pump and H/P recommendations? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you go with a pump, it is installed in a pit that accumulates stuff until there is a load for the pump to empty. RUnning the pump for short bursts would quickly kill it. You'd have to dig a hole for the pit, then you can pump it from there.

zippo201

Reaction score
"RUnning the pump for short bursts would quickly kill it. You'd have to dig a hole for the pit, then you can pump it from there"

Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming the pump works like a sump pump, like you mentioned, when water/sewage accumulates to the proper level in the tank it turns on the pump and shoots it up the line to the septic tank. So i would dig a pit outside the building where the sewage line exits and put the pump there.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Not being able to eyeball it, I wouldn't let a flat spot bother me till I knew more.....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

Your description of the pump implies that you visualize it as an inline pump. It is not. There is a separate pipe from the pump that is tied into a sewer line somewhere and the water leaves the pit through that pipe. It could connect to the line to the septic tank, but that pipe does not connect to the sump basin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks