For Gary Slusser

Users who are viewing this thread

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Gary. Just visited your site, and was looking at the calculations for a water softener. I dont quite understand how to use this.:D I did the water sf rating test, and the most that I can get from a bathtub is 5 gpm. Anyway, as of now, it's just me living in my home, but I would like to size for my home to cover future expansion. I have 2 full baths, 3 bedrooms, automatic washer, dishwasher, and disposer. I have not had a recent test done as of yet to calculate hardness, and am just trying to get a ballpark figure of what I can expect. I will have a full water test done prior to purchasing any equipment. I do know from past tests that the calcium and mineral levels (limestone, and minor iron) are high. Also, which would you recommend..Clack, or Fleck? I am on a private well and septic system, if this makes any diff, however I will not be discharging backwash into my septic system.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
abikerboy, Not Gary S but knowing the hardness may be important for sizing. Do you plan to get married and have kidlets running around? Most homes that I sell and service have a 30 or 40,000 grain unit. If you think it will just be you and a wife with friends now and then a 30,000 should be fine. They both will take the same head. The difference is only how often they will regenerate and if you will run out of soft water B4 it does. Both soften the water the same. The total # of gallons of soft water available B4 regeneration will depend a lot on hardness. What is the well pressure switch set at? That will be telling the GPM. Most softeners need a minimum of 30 PSI constant to work correctly so if your well switch is set at 20-40 it needs to be changed. We have a few homes out here that have in excess of 40 grains hardness per gallon on city water not a well. Thats high. Personally, if you have the room for it, I would just go for the 40,000 grain as the $$$ difference is negligible.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks