no vents for a septic system

Users who are viewing this thread

wasme55

Reaction score
my home is on a septic system, and there are no vents in the entire house. everthing works fine, except for the washer which seems to burp into the floor drain which is another issue. so my question is is this correct not to have vents with a septic system?

my second question is i plan on adding a bathroom in the basent do i need to vent it?

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, it's not a seperate issue. The washer discharge is siphoning the trap seal out of the floor drain. I would do whatever it takes to get a vent in the system. Every trap needs a vent, in answer to your question.

wasme55

Reaction score
the main stack is not inline with the standpipe. the standpipe is 1.5 inch and goes into a wye with the floor draiin a 1.5 inch reducing to 3inch

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
How do you know there are no vents in the home?

Code0

Reaction score
Believe me, my own house didn't have any vents except for an AAV that was lower than all of the first floor drains. Got replaced this weekend with all PVC. The odd thing is that there was a 1.5" pipe up to the roof for venting that was abandoned. Not clogged or anything else. Strange what people do, eh?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Have you looked inthe attic? Maybe under insulation.

V

vaplumber

Hi
You have to have some type of venting or nothing would work right and you wouldnt be living in your house now for the smell. Look for a pipe cut off near a soffit vent and hidden inside of the vent, or maybe even vacuum breaks were used at each fixture. Septic, public sewer or cesspool doesnt matter. You have to have a vent for each trapped fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks