Fiberglass Exterior Doors

Users who are viewing this thread

Weaselpolooza

Reaction score
Can Fiberglass exterior door be painted? I have come across some cheap doors, but they are not the color I want.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes. In fact, they must be, in most cases to keep warranty on them.

Pete

Weaselpolooza

Reaction score
Actually they are already painted. I would be painting over the existing paint to match my color scheme. Is this OK?

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Weaselpolooza said:
Actually they are already painted. I would be painting over the existing paint to match my color scheme. Is this OK?

Yes. And if you use a stripper or something to remove the paint (and not the kind you find in a night-club, ;)) -- use care since some of them can do funky things to fiberglass.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think paint stripper would be a waste of time and effort on a fiberglass door. You might want to lightly sand the surface, but even that might not be necessary, depending on the paint you use.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with G.S. This is a straightforward paint issue....surface prep is the key. I wouldn't use any chemicals, not even liquid sandpaper. A little TSP would probably take any sheen off, then I would use a good coat of primer and best quality acrylic topcoat.

indyjps

mechanical engineer
Reaction score
ive done them with auto paint, scuff them down, degrease and shoot the paint, you can have it mixed in any color and any amount of shine. use a single stage with a hardener and youre good to go. you can even wax them once a year.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks