Toilet sounds like its choking

Users who are viewing this thread

mkraftdet

Reaction score
Installed the Fluidmaster kit.....now as it flushes, the last bits of water in the bowl, almost sound like its girgling or choking....

is this due to the flapper not staying open? I have it set on 9, but it seems limiting

thanks!

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. Are you saying that the last bit of water in the tank is making a gurgling sound as it enters the bowl, or the last bit of water in the bowl is making noise as it drains down the trap and into the drain pipe?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
mkraftdet said:
last bits of water as its leaves the bowl....

Does it make the same noise if you hold down on the handle and completely empty the tank?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some models of toilet will make noise if the flow is so fast that the top of the trap is evacuated. It may be normal.

mkraftdet

Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
Does it make the same noise if you hold down on the handle and completely empty the tank?

NOPE...it works and sounds perfect when I hold the handle down! Now what?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
mkraftdet said:
NOPE...it works and sounds perfect when I hold the handle down! Now what?

Good. Now you can optimize your flush. You need to adjust the flapper so it stays open for as long as possible. (Don't just adjust the number, adjust the actual chain, as well.) If that doesn't work, you'll need to adjust the fill valve so it lets more water in the tank. Raise it right up to the overflow tube (but not above it, of course).

If that doesn't work, you'll have to replace the fluidmaster flapper with a Korky. They also make flappers with little styrofoam balls attached so you can adjust how long the flapper stays open.

PS: is this the "kit" you installed? If it is, there may be other adjustments you can make.

"If it is necessary to increase timing for a longer flush, clip off plug from under
“Timing Cup” and push into any one of four holes in the bottom of the Cup.
Repeat for remaining two plugs if a longer flush is needed."

Fluidmaster kit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mkraftdet

Reaction score
thanks......I changed the # to 9, which hasn't helped yet, but I will play with the chain..thanks so much. Attached is the kit I used....
getimage_new_5658_1.asp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks