Rough in opening about 9 inches>

Users who are viewing this thread

bullsnbears

Reaction score
What the heck can I do. Any options appreciated. Dont want the toilet recessed, any toilets made 8 inch rough in. How much play is there in a 10 inch rough in toilet
thanks
stan
any help appreciated!!!

robert520

Real Estate Inspector
Reaction score
Rough in

Most common rough-in is 12 inches. Toilets can be purchased in 10, 12, and 14. I am not a plumbing supplier but if I remember each size is designed to allow at least .5 to 1.5 inches of space behind the tank to the finished wall. There is no such thing as an 8" rough-in. Hopefully you have a pier and beam foundation so you easily reconfigure the rough in.

You need profession help.

Spokaneman

Reaction score
Would it be possible to shorten a 10" Toto unifit adapter using a solvent weld slip coupler? That is a good one for Terry.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you certain you have measured correctly? The measurement for the toilet rough-in is made for the finished wall to the center of the drain. If it truly is 8", then it seems to me you should consider having the drain replumbed to a standard 12". I do not think there is anyway to adapt a toilet to 8" and have it appear anywhere near "normal". If this was done by when the house was built, I would be very concerned about other abnormal and improper things might have been done with vents, traps, pipe size, and etc.. Best to fix it right now than try to live with a jackknife plumbing job for years.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think you could cut out an inch from a unifit adapter. Even if you could physically, I think you'd disrupt the engineering of the flow and compromise the flushing capability. Getting it to be leak-free after you did it would be a problem as well.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Well, you need another 4" and standard walls are about 4 1/2" thick. What's behind the toilet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks