Bathtub Overflow Installed Wrong! Check the Pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score

Hello,

I just started remodeling a bathroom in our house that hasnt been used for yrs. The Bathtub overflow was installed to high! I looked at the drain system from the back of the tub and realized I could see light from the room coming through at the bottom of the overflow/drain stop fixture! The water will just pour onto the floor and down through the house if the water reeaches the overflow. How can i fix this? I have put photos up to show a visual explanation. (hopefully the photos load right)

I appreciate any help available. Thanks,

Molo

Attachments

• 100_0012.jpg
    100_0012.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 5,051
  • 100_0013.jpg
    100_0013.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 3,317
  • 100_0017.jpg
    100_0017.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 4,259
Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would loosen the overflow plate from the inside of the tub. Then I would push down on the overflow drain from the outside of the tub, and have someone else tighten up the inside plate once it's all lined up properly.

Check the foam gasket also to make sure it is all copasetic.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would loosen large nut below the overflow on the back side B4 I pushed down on it. It will make life easier.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
you will most likely have to cut the faceplate riser. That is most likely the reason it is too high in the first place.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
winslow said:
you will most likely have to cut the faceplate riser. That is most likely the reason it is too high in the first place.

It's only about 1/8" too high. Isn't there any play at all in that drain, especially if you start loosening up other pieces like Cass suggested?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
It's only about 1/8" too high. Isn't there any play at all in that drain, especially if you start loosening up other pieces like Cass suggested?

The only adjustment that will help you is the slip joint where the riser fastens to the tee on the overflow. First you need to loosen the slipjoint securing the faceplate riser, then see if you can lower it. If you can't then you will need to remove the riser so you can cut it. The problem is you will not be able to remove it from the tee without dismantling the tee on the overflow. The easiest way at this point is to cut the riser about 4" below the top of the riser (leave 4 Inches of tubing on the top of the assembly). Remove the faceplate and remove the piece. Then remove the tubing from the overflow tee. Then put the whole thing back together using an extension tailpiece. The sockets in the extension and the overflow tee should give you enough play to make it back up. The only other way is to completely remove the overflow, dismantle, cut to size and reassemble the drain. An ardous task at best.

Hope I did more than just confuse you

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There may not be enough room to tighten the nut on an extension tail piece.

If the overflow will not go down any further I would disassemble the whole trip waste and trap then cut the overflow pipe and reassemble it first B4 I tried using a tail piece. The difficulty of removing the overflow is easier to remedy than trying to cut it in place and using a tail piece.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
overflow

Unless it is an unusual overflow tubing, there is plenty of room to loosen the slip nut on it, take it out, (if it will not slide down any further), and cut it off, OR install an extension tailpiece and tighten the nut on it.

Molo

Reaction score
Fixed it!

I simjply slid the tube down a bit further and replaced the front and screwed it tight, a simple fix!

Thanks everyone!

Molo:) :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks