(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bathtub Overflow Installed Wrong! Check the Pictures!

Exclamation Bathtub Overflow Installed Wrong! Check the Pictures!

Hello,

I just started remodeling a bathroom in our house that hasnt been used for yrs. The Bathtub overflow was installed to high! I looked at the drain system from the back of the tub and realized I could see light from the room coming through at the bottom of the overflow/drain stop fixture! The water will just pour onto the floor and down through the house if the water reeaches the overflow. How can i fix this? I have put photos up to show a visual explanation. (hopefully the photos load right)

I appreciate any help available. Thanks,

Molo
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by molo; 09-27-2006 at 11:38 AM. Reason: adding pictures

I would loosen the overflow plate from the inside of the tub. Then I would push down on the overflow drain from the outside of the tub, and have someone else tighten up the inside plate once it's all lined up properly.

Check the foam gasket also to make sure it is all copasetic.
    Last edited by Verdeboy; 09-27-2006 at 04:35 PM.

I would loosen large nut below the overflow on the back side B4 I pushed down on it. It will make life easier.

you will most likely have to cut the faceplate riser. That is most likely the reason it is too high in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by winslow
    you will most likely have to cut the faceplate riser. That is most likely the reason it is too high in the first place.
    It's only about 1/8" too high. Isn't there any play at all in that drain, especially if you start loosening up other pieces like Cass suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by Verdeboy
    It's only about 1/8" too high. Isn't there any play at all in that drain, especially if you start loosening up other pieces like Cass suggested?
    The only adjustment that will help you is the slip joint where the riser fastens to the tee on the overflow. First you need to loosen the slipjoint securing the faceplate riser, then see if you can lower it. If you can't then you will need to remove the riser so you can cut it. The problem is you will not be able to remove it from the tee without dismantling the tee on the overflow. The easiest way at this point is to cut the riser about 4" below the top of the riser (leave 4 Inches of tubing on the top of the assembly). Remove the faceplate and remove the piece. Then remove the tubing from the overflow tee. Then put the whole thing back together using an extension tailpiece. The sockets in the extension and the overflow tee should give you enough play to make it back up. The only other way is to completely remove the overflow, dismantle, cut to size and reassemble the drain. An ardous task at best.

Hope I did more than just confuse you

There may not be enough room to tighten the nut on an extension tail piece.

If the overflow will not go down any further I would disassemble the whole trip waste and trap then cut the overflow pipe and reassemble it first B4 I tried using a tail piece. The difficulty of removing the overflow is easier to remedy than trying to cut it in place and using a tail piece.
    Last edited by Cass; 09-28-2006 at 04:40 AM.

Default overflow

Unless it is an unusual overflow tubing, there is plenty of room to loosen the slip nut on it, take it out, (if it will not slide down any further), and cut it off, OR install an extension tailpiece and tighten the nut on it.

Smile Fixed it!

I simjply slid the tube down a bit further and replaced the front and screwed it tight, a simple fix!

Thanks everyone!

Molo