Wax ring

Users who are viewing this thread

chaoster

Reaction score
Does everybody use a wax ring with or without a flange? A regular one or thicker one?

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to that, I am not a plumber. But, I was told the other day, that they make, " time released ones" see, under the post, Mark up, under Plumbing. Not sure how true this is. :) Maybe, you could ask..

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Most plumbers use a wax ring with a horn. A few use the regular wax ring without.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The "flanged" wax rings are somewhat easier to install and remove than the plain wax rings. If your toilet flange is slightly lower than the floor, a thicker wax ring may be used or, in some cases, two wax rings (the top one should not be flanged, in order to get a good seal).

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cookie said:
I don't know the answer to that, I am not a plumber. But, I was told the other day, that they make, " time released ones" see, under the post, Mark up, under Plumbing. Not sure how true this is. :) Maybe, you could ask..

I think someone was yanking your chain.:)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is the other way around.
1 Most plumbers do NOT use the wax ring with a funnel.
2. Some plumbers DO use the one with the funnel.
3. If you are going to use two wax rings, the one on the TOP should be the one with the funnel so it keeps the lower one without one lined up.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
hj said:
It is the other way around.
1 Most plumbers do NOT use the wax ring with a funnel.
2. Some plumbers DO use the one with the funnel.
Unless we survey a statistically significant number of plumbers, we are probably only guessing at this.

hj said:
3. If you are going to use two wax rings, the one on the TOP should be the one with the funnel so it keeps the lower one without one lined up.
I'll try that next time I use two wax rings. Although the other way has worked fine for me up 'til now.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I seldom used the seal with a horn also. People think a seal with a horn is better, but I found that not to be true.

Usually when a seal leaks, it doesn't leak at the bottom of the seal, it leaks where the seal touches the china.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have had excellent result with the Fluidmaster waxless rings, but either wax or waxless work quite well if the flange is solid on the finished floor surface and the toilet is set properly. I think the horn is supposed to guide the toilet so that it sets better, but ???

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cookie said:

As some of you know, I have been helping out a plumber friend who is having health problems. I learned an interesting lesson today which actually touches on another post here about a sweating tank. Homeowner has his toilet piped into a hot water line. Seems like every 8 to 10 months, he gets a leak at his wax ring. The guy who I was helping out looks at me, and says "Rob, what do you think hot water feeding a toilet does to a wax ring?" Never really gave it a thought before. Then he points out the few times when a toilet gets used sucessively, and he also points out the small amount of water that escapes the bowl upon a refill after a flush. Food for thought, huh?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
abikerboy said:
As some of you know, I have been helping out a plumber friend who is having health problems. I learned an interesting lesson today which actually touches on another post here about a sweating tank. Homeowner has his toilet piped into a hot water line. Seems like every 8 to 10 months, he gets a leak at his wax ring. The guy who I was helping out looks at me, and says "Rob, what do you think hot water feeding a toilet does to a wax ring?" Never really gave it a thought before. Then he points out the few times when a toilet gets used sucessively, and he also points out the small amount of water that escapes the bowl upon a refill after a flush. Food for thought, huh?

So, what you're saying is that hot water is required to activate the "time release" wax rings? :rolleyes:

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
So, what you're saying is that hot water is required to activate the "time release" wax rings? :rolleyes:

Lol! Exactly! By the way, I really have a lot of respect for you guys. Im learning that this kind of work is not for me. I much prefer to spent my nights sleeping for 8 hours without a ringing telephone at my head!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wax rings

Unless we survey a statistically significant number of plumbers, we are probably only guessing at this.

My unscientific survey is from the plumbes at the supply houses. I see very few who buy them, and almost none who have a good word for the horned ones. I am surprised he does not have to replace the toilet at the same time the wax ring fails. A lot of them would crack the tank from the thermal shock of hot water entering a cold tank, or toilet.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I also would like to know about experience with the Fluidmaster device. Or an equivalent.

I am concerned about the performance of the wax rings in a heated floor and would like to use something else.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've not had any problems with the FLuidmaster waxless and in-floor radiant heat. It's only bee a few years, though, so long-term is a ways away.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks