Bathroom sink drain pipe and p-trap don't meet

Users who are viewing this thread

rexballinger

Reaction score
Okay. I removed a corner sink from a small bathroom. I replaced the sink with a corner tile countertop and vessel sink (one that the basin sits atop the countertop). After installing the counter, I set about installing the sink. Unfortunately, I neglected a key aspect in my planning.

Now, the drain pipe hangs down from the sink at a horizontal distance of about 6 inches from the end of the p-trap fitting that it would connect to. No matter how I rotate the p-trap, it will be too far away. The outgoing drain is horizontal, and since the plumbing is exposed, I need to be able to do everything in an appealing chrome.

I went to the local hardware store, which in general is great for advice, and they told me that my only option was to use a flexible plastic pipe that attaches to the drain and then can be manuevered to fit into the p-trap. I am looking for other options.

One thing that I thought of was to use an s-trap instead of a p-trap. Is this okay for horizontal outgoing drain pipe? I also thought about contrapting a double L joint that would breach the distance between the sink drain pipe to the p-trap. If anyone has any ideas on this it would be very much appreciated. I would think this would be a common mistake for first-time remodelers, but usually I can easily find guidance in that case. Right now I am feeling like a true moron...

Cheers,
Rex

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

I cannot even imagine how you would connect an "S" trap to a horizontal drain pipe. Find a store that has a 1 1/4" "offset" pipe which will look like a "lazy Z". Cut it where necessary to point the opening towards the trap, (using just one half of the offset), and tighten it in place.

rexballinger

Reaction score
s-trap idea

the idea for the s-trap is this:

when you buy a p-trap configuration it comes with the p-trap and another l-shaped pipe that connects to the horizontal pipe going into the wall. normally with a p-trap configuration, the l-shaped pipe fits into the wall pipe with the end pointed towards the floor. then, the p-trap connects this end to the sink drain pipe in a j-configuration.

my idea was to turn the l-pipe so that the opening points towards the ceiling, which would end up like a modified vertical outgoing drain pipe. and, everything that i have read says that you use an s-trap to connect a sink to a vertical outgoing drain pipe.

any comments as to whether this configuration would work and/or be in code??? thanks in advance, rex

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

Several problems with trying to invert an "S" trap. First it has a "J" pipe, not an "I" pipe. Next, the connections would be on the wrong ends to do that. Third, you would have a "plain" pipe pointing towards the ceiling with no way to connect to it. Then it would look "just plain dorky" by the time you got everything assembled. And finally, an "S" trap is illegal to use even though some stores do sell them, (they will sell anything people will buy regardless of the "legality" of them).

Last edited:

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Since this is all exposed and you want it to look good, the only real option is opening the wall and relocating the trap arm outlet. What did you do with the water lines?
Deb
The Pipewench

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks