two sump pump pits, which one should be main

Users who are viewing this thread

dsippelil

Reaction score
I have two sump pump pits in my basement, both contain sump pumps. Currently the main pump operates in the second pit which receives the water from the first pit (back up pump is in this one) that connects to the drain tile. Is this the "industry standard"? My neighbor is set up the same way and his house did not flood in the last major deluge (unfortunately my basement did). I also have a high water table which makes my pump cycle on for 6 seconds and then off for 16 seconds all the time during the average day of no recent rain. Any advice on my situation is helpful as the house is new (1 1/2 old) and I would like refinish the basement at some point.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That's a lot of water. What's the topography, and how was the foundation drained?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Four things:
1. make sure that the drainspouts and landscaping carry the water away from the house.
2. if you don't have a checkvalve in the line, put one in - you shouldn't pay to pump the same water twice.
3. Try to get the pump as low in the sump as possible without sucking up dirt from the bottom to make the cycle longer.
4. make sure that wherever the pump is dumping the water, it is far enough away so that it doesn't end up back in the basement.

dsippelil

Reaction score
dsippelil said:
I have two sump pump pits in my basement, both contain sump pumps. Currently the main pump operates in the second pit which receives the water from the first pit (back up pump is in this one) that connects to the drain tile. Is this the "industry standard"? My neighbor is set up the same way and his house did not flood in the last major deluge (unfortunately my basement did). I also have a high water table which makes my pump cycle on for 6 seconds and then off for 16 seconds all the time during the average day of no recent rain. Any advice on my situation is helpful as the house is new (1 1/2 old) and I would like refinish the basement at some point.

Thanks for the responses. The main pump is in the bottom of the pit. My home's downspouts drain about three feet from the house. There are check valves on both pumps and the main pump drains to the storm sewer (the backup drains into the backyard. The water table is high as the retention pond is across the street and the ditch the retention pond drains into is in my backyard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks