Removing Basement Rough-In

Users who are viewing this thread

lespauboy

Reaction score
I need to remove the existing pipes for my basement rough in as I will be finising my basement and do not need a washroom. It appears that I have one pipe for a toilet, one for a shower, one for a sink and one for a vent. These pipes currently extend a couple of feet above the concrete floor and are capped off. The vent pipe actually extends up to the main floor and is tied into the laundry room system (located on the main floor). What is the best / proper way to cut off the pipes and to seal or cap them off to make them flush to the floor?

Prashster

Reaction score
You could cut it flush, and then cement in plugs.

BUT, why would you want to do this? Basement rough plumbing is valuable for resale. If it were me, I'd focus on ways to camoflage/hide/build around the stubs. Cutting them flush will make it harder to adapt later without doing some concrete work.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I had a dollar for every DIYer that has sought help in installing a basement bathroom where there was no rough-in, I would be a wealthy man. Don't do anything that can't be fairly easily undone. If you do cut and cap pipes below the floor, make a very detailed and accurate drawing of where everything is. I promise you that someday you or future owners of your home will want that bathroom.

lespauboy

Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
If I had a dollar for every DIYer that has sought help in installing a basement bathroom where there was no rough-in, I would be a wealthy man. Don't do anything that can't be fairly easily undone. If you do cut and cap pipes below the floor, make a very detailed and accurate drawing of where everything is. I promise you that someday you or future owners of your home will want that bathroom.

Yes... you are absolutely correct and I agree with your statement above. The issue is that my home is a two storey 1700 square foot dwelling which means that I have limited space in the basement. The house already has three bathrooms. The rough in that is in the basement is probably in the worst possible place... right where I need to put my rec room. I'm gathering if I cap it off properly, a future home owner could make use of it at a later date without too much trouble or expense. I'm just looking for advice on the best way to do this (any special caps / plugs / sealing methods). :)

lespauboy

Reaction score
Here are some pics of what I'm dealng with... Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Rough1.jpg

Rough2.jpg

Rough3.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks