Clean out plug is stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

rihokie25

Reaction score
What's the best way to remove a corroded clean out plug. The plug probably hasn't been removed in at least ten years and won't budge with a wrench. Any siggestions on how to free it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plug

You have used a wrench, but have you used the wrench and a hammer to hit the wrench? There are many ways to remove a plug ranging from more force to cutting it out. We cannot advise the best way without trying the different options to see what works.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
If it's one of those brass ones on the bottom of an old cast iron trap, you may have a cuss-fest removing it. Try just catching a chisel on the outside edge then hammering so as to rotate it. Do this all around the diameter of the plug. (Handyman, not a plumber.)

Phatbrain

Reaction score
A little trick...

This has worked for me, but I don't know anything and it's not my fault...

Take two hammers (size doesn’t matter :), but I use small ones) of equal weight and give the fitting a sharp rap at the same time on opposite sides. Repeat the rapping around the fitting.

Good luck and don't crack the pipes

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks