Basement rough plumb - what's this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Prashster

Reaction score
A guy on JB's forum had this pic of his basement bath rough in. Anyone know what the yellow arrow's pointing to?

Attachments

• bathroom_roughin.jpg
    bathroom_roughin.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 551

Prashster

Reaction score
Thanks, HJ. Knew you'd be here ;)
Why is that required? Why can't you just cement the ptrap in like everything else?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
At the slab-pour stage, you have no way to accurately detemine the exact final placement of the trap....your rough sill plates and walls are not even set at that time. The final location of the trap can be set inside this box once your rough framing is up.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks phrashter for posting the pic here. Am now a member of terrylove too. :D

By the way, I'm a visual type of person. What is a P trap?

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I did a google image search and saw those P-traps :D

From what I'm currently seeing in my basement, I have to make a big square cut on that black plastic. Am I correct?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
thing

First you have to understand that most of the lower portion of a tub drain is below the floor so that big box gives you room for it. It also may give you room to cut the trap off and repipe a new trap if it has to move to a different, nearby, location to line up with the bathtub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks