sprinkler system project

Users who are viewing this thread

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Compressor, this a cool idea. I'm actually planning to buy a compressor but for my hard wood and basement project, etc. I think, we can use compressor anywhere. :D I'll swing by HD today and buy a qauge. So for us homeowners, what PSI should I see ideal?

Thanks again.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ideally, the household pressure should be from 40 to 60 lbs. Much over 60 and you should have a pressure regulator valve which also requires an expansion tank. These would be installed in the household portion of the system, not the irrigation.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a note on the compressor. You will need a compressor with at least a 6o gallon tank to DIY on the winterizing. Even then, you will have to use several tanks of air pre zone to get all of the water purged. You cab only blow one zone at a time with a 60 gallon tank. The pros use the kind of compressor used to run big jack hammer on construction sites and and do the whole system in a few minutes. It's slower with a home compressor, but it's cheaper.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just bought a pressure valve at ******* for $5. I connected it to outside faucet and fired it up. The reading is 55 PSI. Looks like I'm in the range which is good.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
More digging, the pipe that enters my house is 1 1/2" and then right after my water meter, it becomes 1". And then, to the faucet in the backyard, it goes from this 1", then becomes 3/4", then finally becomes 1/2".

Is there any issue if the length of the installed 1" from my estimate is about 15'-20'?

Thanks.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In case you ask for pipe info, here it is:

mainline.jpg

Nereus

Reaction score
Remove the backflow?

Hi everyone....this is going to be the first year we will be winterizing several systems here in S/W Missouri. After we blow out the system is it necessary to remove the backflow if the valves are left at a 45 deg. angle?
Thanks,
Nereus

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks