Toilet too close to the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

zcchryst

Reaction score
I own an old house and it seems when the previous owner tiled the walls he didn't account for the fact that standard toilets won't fit on the flange (I don't even know how the old toilet fit). I was told I might be able to find a "slim fit" tank to go on the bowl we picked out (I'd rather not get an entire new unit as the bowl has a unique pattern that goes with the other fixtures in the bathroom). My question is does anyone know where I can find a slim fit tank online (or in person, I live in MD)?

Thank You,

Zach

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Measure from the wall to the center of the drain, (the bolts caps are a good indicator)

Standard is 12", though for many toilets, 11" will do.

zcchryst

Reaction score
Thanks Terry

I'll check that out tonight. Have you ever heard of a "slim fit" tank? It's supposed to be made to fit on a bowl that sits closer to the back wall than the average toilet. The tank works and doesn't leak now but it's leaning forward and I don't trust it as a long term fix. I've got something wedged in between the tank and bowl to keep it from leaning forward any more and breaking the tank/bowl gasket seal but I'd like to put a new "thinner" thank on it as a long term fix, I just can't seem to find one online.

Thanks Again,

Zach

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That may not work...the tank height and opening locations is matched to the base...just changing the tank may provide a lousy flush. Maybe it is time for a new toilet. The savings in water can be signficant.

Unless you can find one from the manufacturer made to fit the base, I'd forget it - bite the bullet and swap it for a new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks