A water Pipe is making a knocking noise when...

Users who are viewing this thread

Not-so-Handy-Andy

Reaction score
When I run multiple sources of water in my house, I hear a tapping noise from my pipes... I think it is coming from the second floor bathroom (New addition).
The noise is like if you take your knuckle and tap it on a table top at a moderate speed... If I only use one source of water, the noise is not there.....
:confused: :confused:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Usually, a tapping noise like you've described is due to expansion and contraction of pipes. Does it happen only when you are using hot water? Another phenomenon is called water hammer. This is a much louder banging sound caused by sudden changes in water pressure. They make water hammer arresters if that's the problem.

Last edited:

Not-so-Handy-Andy

Reaction score
No, it can be cold water only .... And I don't think it's water hammer, because it is not loud.... it's only as I described it....

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since it only happens when you run multiple sources of water at the same time, the sound must be related to the increase flow of water through the pipes. If your water is really cold, it can also contract and expand the pipes and cause a "ticking" sound. But you say it's more like a "tapping" sound.

Since you only hear the tapping noise from the new addition, the problem is most likely that one (or more) sections of pipe is not secured properly, and it is tapping against something, but only when there is sufficient flow through the pipe. This tapping could also be exacerbated by expansion/contraction and changes in pressure, as you open and close valves around the house. If that's the case, you would have to locate the noisy pipe, maybe with some sort of homemade "stethoscope" and tear out a wall to get to it and secure the pipe better.

One other possibility is that it is related to the toilet in your new bathroom or one of your other toilets. Sometimes, when a toilet fill valve is going bad, it makes strange noises in the pipes nearby. Turn off the shutoff valves to all your toilets and see if the noise goes away. If it does, you need to repair or replace the defective toilet fill valve. You'll have to turn them on, one at a time, to find the bad one.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like a loose pipe that starts some movement and knocks during high water flow. If you can isolate the noise you may be able to open a wall and secure the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks