Old American Standard push pull faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

michealr

Reaction score
I have an old American Standard faucet in my bathtub/shower that I think is a N1030 series push pull (circa 1960) that I am trying to remove. Is there any way to remove it from the front? It looks like I will have to go in through the wall behind it but I hope not. The problem is that I can't get the handle off and without doing that there's no way to get it out from the front. Any suggestions? TIA....Mike

aquarian-terrylove-06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
american standard junk

American standard is junk but you should
be able to get that handle off somehow.....

either the easy way or the hard way.....

as long as you can get the water off in behind the plate

anything goes....

that does not look all that old

if all else fails I have taken a turbo torch and melted them
off before.....

of course thats getting a littel radical....

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sure looks like there is a large black cap on the handle, or is that an optical illusion? You could also unscrew the two backer plate screws and pull the backer plate forward to see if there is a hidden set screw. If there really is no screw, and you don't care about re-using the handle, I would just pull the handle off, or break it off with a channel locks. Do you have a leak? Why do you want to remove the handle? Make sure you turn the water off before working on this.

Last edited:

michealr

Reaction score
Thanks

I thank you both for your replies. I don't know about junk Mark, this faucet is at least 40 years old with constant daily use. But you and Verdeboy are right, I may have to resort to force. The reason I need to replace it is because the handle is broken off. I just propped it up for the picture. That's not a cap on the handle, it's all one piece with no seams and when you take the screws out, the plate slides forward on a sleeve around the stem (I assume), but won't slide past the handle. Anyone else have any ideas?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Where do you see American Standard on the faucet?

Guess my minds failing me now.........

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What are those 3 little dots around the mysterious black thing? They look like holes for a spanner wrench of some kind.

michealr

Reaction score
Problem solved

After getting into a contortionists position and almost having to stand on my head, I found that by turning faucet full on, i.e. tipping the top of the cap back and the bottom out, I could see a small set screw holding the handle in place. I hope this will help anyone else with a similar problem as I was ready to forcefully tear it off which probably would have ruined the faucet. Now all I have to do if find a handle. It says American Standard on the bottom of the wall plate. Anyone know where I can get one that will work?

aquarian-terrylove-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks