where to solder copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Richb2

Reaction score
This is a simple minded question, but I am a simple guy. I am putting in hydroponic underfloor heating. I finished running the PEX and now I need to run 3/4" copper tubing back to the boilder room, before I call in the plumber to hook the baby up to the furnace. It is about a 25 foot run. The basement ceiling is a cheapo drop down with removeable panels, and no more than 6 inches of space below the joists. Do I build and solder the copper tubes on the floor, and then try to get the long tubes into the ceiling? Or do I mount the tubes with hangers in the ceiling first, and then solder them in place? I have a propane torch and I am afraid of igniting the place.

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
Solder in place. It's much easier.

Make sure you have

a) A water sprayer bottle. I pre-spray with water on the wood, etc.

b) A cloth heat shield (around $20) if your joint is, say, less than four inches from combustible material. Putting the cloth in back is fairly cheap insurance.

c) A fire extinguisher nearby.

Once you finish sweating the joint, spray the area with water in case there are embers.

Yes, this is overkill in terms of safety but it's cheap insurance; and it's your house.

Prashster

Reaction score
respectfully disagree

Unless you're a good solderer (is that a word?!) I'd do as much of it on the ground as possible. I wouldn't do the WHOLE thing on the ground bkz it'd be tough to measure exactly and lift it. But I'd do it in strategic pieces that minimize the amount of overhead soldering you have to do.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Why don't you run the PEX back and save on heat loss through the copper and the added cost?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
richb2 said:
This is a simple minded question, but I am a simple guy. I am putting in hydroponic underfloor heating. .

Are you useing hydroponic heating to add humidity in the air during the winter months? :) :D :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks