very confused

Users who are viewing this thread

EllenLG

Reaction score
could some one please tell me what the difference is between americast and cast iron?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
:eek: Apparently the name "Americast" is also applied to a man made material used for sinks and tubs. My first search produced the results that I gave in my first answer. What little information I could find on the tubs and sinks indicated it is much softer than cast iron and therefore has some problems.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
americast...

What I have ben told abot Americast is that is is a

Polymer that is sprayed into a Steel Tub to make it seem like cast Iron

they are much lighter so they get usede quite a bit and will last for about
5 --10 years before looking totallly worn out...and frazzled in the bottom

and they seem to discolor or fade over time

I have never liked them becasue they still chip just like the tin ones....

The americast kitchen sinks work OK but still can chip...

I prefer the Sterling tubs over these...

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Americast is American Standard's brand name for a tpye of fixture now made by several companies. The body is a molded polymer material; the surace has a very thin metal layer,over which the porcelain finish is applied. They have the rigidity of cast iron, claim to have the same durability. Supposedly do NOT chip easily like the steel tubs and sinks can. For a tub, they hold the heat much better than cast iron.

These have been around for several years. I have not heard any negative reports. Price wise, similar to cast iron. Because they weigh so much less, your back will love you for that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks