How much black mold will stop you from getting old?

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
How much black mold will keep you from getting old?

Lately, I've had jobs that required me to remove wet, crumbly drywall around leaky windows and behind loose c-tiles in showers. Of course, underneath there is always a ton of black mold everywhere. I tend to not use gloves or a mask when I'm removing the wet moldy stuff, but I wash up completely at the end. The removal of the moldy stuff usually only takes an hour or two, so it's not like I'm living with it. From my understanding, people are only susceptible to molds if their immune system has been compromised by AIDS or smoking, or if they have asthma or bad allergies.

So far, I haven't had any ill effects. Does anyone know how much exposure to black mold is necessary before you start coming down with symptoms? And, what would those symptoms be?

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I can't believe you wrote this! I read this and thought, WHAT.... Don't do what I do, wear a mask, gloves, etc and go easy with it. I think no one can tell you what is an ok, black mold, and what isn't. So, be leary of it all. I am sure everyone here would say the same. You know that camp I told you about I own? Well, one year it was covered with mold. The ceiling, was very bad in the kitchen, and it was ' growing' I swear, growing, into the livingroom, behind the sofa, etc. It was as scary as all get-go. Like it had a life-force of its own. Well, I couldn't let my husband go at it alone, and I certainly did not want my sons in there, so, the 2 of us, wearing masks, gloves, and old clothes, scrubbed it with bleach and water. Then, we painted it with something for mold. So, far, so good. And, that has been a good many years. But, it even set my husband back, and he kept saying, ' get out of here, you are the last person who should be in here' ( referring to my health problems.) But, I am a die-hard. And, I worked alongside my husband no matter if it was shoveling shit. Anyway, I want to read a part 2 of that book, soooo, put that gear on! Or I will come to New Mexico and thump you good.

Handyman Miguel

Reaction score
How many cigarettes do u need before ya get cancer?

Heads up, and wake up Verdeboy! MOLD IS JUST AS BAD AS ASBESTOS. You need to not only wear disposable gloves, and full disposable coveralls when you are messing with this stuff, but you MUST have a respirator that covers your nose and mouth and has a filter on either side. Like the painters wear. And if there is a lot of the stuff, you even need to quarantine the room to keep the mold spores from spreading threw out the house. Then you have to bag the infected drywall with really thick bags and close them tight. I am not kidding. This is serious stuff. There was a program on TV last year I saw that showed a family going through this stuff in their house. Now granted they were living and breathing the stuff every day But I think it only took something like Two years before the husband became mentally ill and the wife came down with some brochial problems.
Verdyboy, I am no expert on mold, but I can tell you, if you want to live longer, at least get yourself a respirator and do a little more research.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER DUDE

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are all big sissies

Dont be such panzies....

The sky is falling, the sky is falling....
we are all going to die cause their is some
mold in our basement.........CNN says so

LETS SUE SOMEONE for all my pain and sufferring....

Their are many different types of black mold on the planet

and only one or two of them are actallly dangerous.......

and thats after being exposed to it for months

literaly LIVING in the house non stop......

People have gone NUTS over worriing about it and many
are looking for a BIG PAYDAY from insurance companies
claiming that their houses and health have been ruined...

yes it can happpen, and it has.....
but its nothing as big a deal as it
is portrayed as in the news.....

just a little soap and bleach
solves the problem

mold has been around forever and it lives in

every crawl space I have ever been in......

Bleach usually will kill off most every type of mold.....

The Really Nasty Molds usually can be smelt and actually TASTED
when you go into a basement or crawlspace....

and you should wear a respirator when you stumble onto them...

or get in and out quickly...... so what you gonna do??

their are much worse dangers than mold that we accept every day
as common and normal and no one complains about them....

So Now I got to go race into work on the interstate with everyone else
going 85.... while doing their make up and talking on their cell phones.....

what fun it is...

Prashster

Reaction score
If it were me,

I'd wear rubber gloves and a respirator. I know most molds are innocuous, but why take the chance? Gloves and a respirator are cheap insurance.

To that end, I'd wear a respirator or dust mask when doing any kind of demo, or dusty work (read, concrete, wood, drywall).

Alexdc99

Reaction score
Cookie said:
Thank you for the remark about CNN Master Mark, but, I bet you would be a shittin and a gettin if you got cancer 5 times, and had 3 brain tumors, eh.

That's like saying you got lung cancer from sitting in a car for 2 hours with a smoker 30 years ago.

Cancer and brain tumors can be caused by everything, sometimes even your own genetics.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
something is going to kill you dead someday

i came home tonight and found
that A very large branch just fell down today in my back yard..

It fell and partially hit the hammock that I was sleeping
in on sunday........just missed me by about 60 hours.....

whew ....that was too close......LOL
( I am not kidding about the branch)

worrying about second hand smoke....

worrying about various types of house hold mold....

worrying about wether a large meterior might hit
the planet...........

worrying about terrorist attacks

how about an earth quake??

the list goes on and on......

try to get a grip and have fun while you can

wouldent you be pissed off after all that worrying time you spent

if you just fell asleep one day and woke up dead????

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cookie said:
Thank you for the remark about CNN Master Mark, but, I bet you would be a shittin and a gettin if you got cancer 5 times, and had 3 brain tumors, eh.

I'm missing something -- who had these 8 medical maladies?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you all for replying. I think the answer lies somewhere between MP Mark's fatalistic view, "What the hell, you're gonna die from something anyway," and Cookie's and Miguel's overcautious need to cover up every square inch of their body and wear a respirator.

I'll probably put on gloves and a dust mask next time.

Thanks again.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Had a coworker years ago that died of cancer when he was 42. The cause was a combination of childhood ignorance and no adult guidance/supervision. He and his brother would be sent into their grandfathers orchard to spray insecticide on the trees. On really hot days they would spray each other down to cool off with the solution.

The solution they were using was DDT.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Cookie said:
I only wear a 98 cent paper mask. Old clothes, and a baseball hat. always, gloves...

You forgot the stilletos :D ...

My husband has this thing hanging up, I wonder if if it is it, it is green, plastic, and has 2 big things on the side. I don't think it has ever been used.

Yup, that's a respirator. The 2 big things are the filters, usually intended to filter specific toxins or families of them, although most all of them will filter dust. They are replaceable, with whatever specific filter you need for the upcoming activity.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Cookie said:
That respirator by the way, those thing on the side, do they take some kind of paper filter? I really don't know. Thank you.
The entire cannister assembly is replaced, I think. The element is specific to the use -- dust only, various chemicals, pesticides, molds, asbestos, etc. Here's a link to one site that sells the AOSafety brand: http://www.hechinger.com/web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid=67110. You could check locally at the big-box stores, paint stores, etc., or look in the Yellow Pages under Safety Equipment. The brand name and filter type should be on the cannisters.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks