Problem with Pump? Or Pressure Switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

LAR42

Reaction score
I have an issue with my water system and I can't figure it out. I have a Gould's 2HP Submersible pump, a 240 foot well and only about 2.5 gpm of recovery. A Well-X-Trol WX-203 pressure tank with the switch set to 30/50. Sometimes the pressure gauge will drop all the way when a lot of water has been used. The issue is that sometimes the pressure will come start to come back and sometimes it doesn't. The pump just runs and runs and the pressure stays at zero. I can tell that this is happening because I don't have any water. So, when this hapens, I go and shut my pump off for a while. I figured the well is isn't recharging fast enough. However, sometimes when I turn the pump back on the pressure jumps to about 20 psi and holds steady there and will not come back to full rpessure. Sometimes it pumps back up like it supposed to do. Very frustrating, especially when you have three kids(boys) that need baths and showers. Incidentally, there are two additional systems in place between the well and the pressure tank. There is a chemical feed pump that inject Potassium Carbonate to control ph and a big filter for filtering Iron and other minerals from the water.

Any advice is appreciated.

Speedbump

Reaction score
It simply sounds like you are over pumping the well.

You may have to go with a cistern in the home or buried in the yard to take full advantage of the wells capability, so you have more storage when needed.

bob...

Raucina

Reaction score
Be glad you dont have girls. You need a lot of storage or less kids. You will also soon need a new pump - and the pump is too big anyway. Put in a low pressure cut off type pressure switch tonight, and throttle down the output closer to the point of recovery until you get some storage capacity installed. In the meantime the bathwater can be used for all three kids - draw straws for the first kid in like my brothers and I did.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks