Accepting Credit Cards for Payment

Users who are viewing this thread

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Okay, this has become disturbing as another call just came in today....making 2 in the past 2 days, this time I lost the call (stuck Moen cartridge in shower) :mad: Had 4 in the past week. All of this has become an issue in the last 2 months out of the entire 4 years in my company.

I called Sam's, here's what the deal is:

Machine at office $29.95 a month plus % plus $20/month if you don't use it enough to cover base charge. 48 month lease or buy the machine outright for $595.00. IF you start the lease and stop it within the 48 months, you have to pay $90. IF you go the total distance of the lease (which doesn't make any sense) I can purchase the machine for 10% of the original purchase price. <Insane to go that route

Mobile machine < This is the only thing that I really believe is going to work for me since I don't "have" anyone back at the office to run numbers....there would be some down time in those matters if the numbers are incorrect and I want to know immediately sitting in their driveway that the card is good. I could go the lazy/unsafe approach and just take the card numbers down but I would rather make it all happen on the spot.

The mobile machine is $1018 to buy outright, $39.95/month if you lease for 48 months (ripoff) with the same $90 default if you break the lease. early.

I can't do anything on the internet/front of computer. It's not going to work and if I made the mistake of running the numbers wrong.....I'd rather do it in the process of transaction at the customer's home in case the charge doesn't go through. I have no one at the office to run numbers when I'm in the field so I am forced to take another path:

Called my CPA and since he's always dealing with money....I'd figure he'd have some advice to give. He called while I was typing this response and he is set up with a phone only system.

He calls a 1-800 number.....all done by prompts and all you do is run the number/exp. date/type of transaction/amount. Within a minute you get a AUTH #.

The cost is $12/month, 2-year contract and 3% per transaction. < To me, this is the best I've heard yet, I can call in my truck with cc in hand and I just keypad the numbers in and get a return AUTH# without even having to talk into the phone. NO machines to worry about not working in the cold of winter or getting where it won't transfer out.

If I do online transactions I am going to not police myself.....get lazy about running the card right away after a hard day of work....then that leads to other problems all into itself. People can start running that card up and then find out my charge won't push through. My fault entirely.

If what my CPA has is a go, I can't see how that won't be a golden opportunity waiting to be had. He's supposed to forward me the info tomorrow of the company that he deals with. I looked at online auctions for credit card processors....only found 9 and the prices were so low that it scares me to believe that it isn't a good thing to do.

3% of transaction and $12/month is nothing to sweat $30 per $1000 can be faded into the material charges on jobs so easily that I would not even bother to initial a surcharge on the bill for its use. I'm getting mixed opinions from the replies whether it's legal or not; I've seen receipts where I've been charged so it must be a state to state ordeal.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
sounds good

Hey that sounds pretty good for you.....

I could call in every call on a touch tone phone if I so

wished useing the customers phone too,

But ---- I am just too lazy and too trusting ........

I just take the number down then wait till I get to

my machine at the office and run it through.........

sometime over the next few days......

Today I just ran one through for work I did back on Aug 25th.....
as long as the card isnt declined ..........its all good......

I have never been screwed badly enough to make any
changes to my lazy system yet.....

but I been screwed dozens and dozens of times by check.....

and their is NO EASY WAY to check out a check
untill it BOUNCES back to you......

Rugged... the real fun begins when you get your
machine and have to learn how to get aprovals from their
accounts then how retreive your money from their bank....

its no big deal now,
but it was a little confuseing in the first month..

So I wont even go into that , but if you want to get up to
speed on how to send "batches" of bills through
your machine just let me know.....

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Costco Member Pricing for VISA/MasterCard Transactions*

Internet Merchants
1.99%
Plus 25¢ per transaction
Mail/Telephone Order Merchants 1.99%
Plus 25¢ per transaction
Retail Merchants

1.64%
Plus 20¢ per card-swiped transaction
Costco members also receive discounted prices on equipment.

I've been using Costco, for visa and mastercard, the money is in the account the next morning.
It takes a little more time for Amex, and the percentage is a little higher.

If you run the cards on your computer, it's free for the online access.
If you buy a "swiper" you can run the cards on the homeowners phone line and get the 1.38%
I've been using the computer and paying the 1.99%

The monthly fee to use it is $8.00.

If I had to pay 3.00% each time, I would be paying more than 50% more for my visa charges.
I think I paid about $75 for the program, one time. And I've been using it ever since.

http://www.elavon.com/acquiring/costco/

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
To Mark,

From the way the CPA described it.....I can call from any phone.....I would be going back to my truck and processing by using my business cell phone once they know the price and do it in private just in case there are any issues to be worked out.

To Terry,

I don't have any Costco's around in this area. :( I don't know if I could even join without getting the full benefit of being a cardmember and the like......but the 1.99% cost and no monthly fees is worth investigating.

Found 2 locations within 25 miles of my location...so I'll check it out.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To use costco, you have the buy the $110 a year membership.

But just being able to use their credit card processing would be enough.

You also get 2% off of your purchases there.
I bought a lot of food and furniture.
Last year I got back $167 on my purchases. That means I saved $67 over the cost of my membership.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
keep it simple sam

I hate to beat a dead horse here.....

I honestly dont know which is simpler but

I do it all through my National City Bank Business account

I get a monthly breakdown amiled to me for all of all my

transactions from the "clearing house for Visa, MC and

discover" with what to deduct all added up into one lump

sum.....

and I get my normal monthly bank statement showing

when the loot was deposited into my accont ........

its never screwed me out of a cent yet and its pretty easy to

tabulate the numbers

I have heard horror stories from different people
about having to keep a close eye on some of these
places...playing a shell game ...or never getting the funds

or clerical errors....

I got a lawmower repair shop buddy that got so pissed off he
stopped takeing all plastic.......due to errors
I told him that it was a dumb move

so I do it only though my first love....my bank....

Last edited:

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Rugged, how about if you were to go with the mobile unit, and increase your labor/material charges by the percentage of the surcharge (maybe even slightly more to cover your cost of equipment)? Then if someone is paying by cash or check, you could offer them a discount equal to whatever your percentage increase is, minus of course what the machine is costing you? As a consumer, I would have no arguements there, and it may even push me to find a way to pay you with cash or check. Even if I had to use credit, then the lost discount is something that I would just have to live with. Even the gas stations around here offer gas at charge card prices, and they knock an extra 3-5 cents per gallon off for a cash transaction. Sometimes I cannot pay cash, so I stick my card in the slot, and keep my mouth shut. This way, you are offering me a choice, and making the simple choice more profitable to me, yet youre also offering me a way out even if I lack the cash. Many people will appreciate this.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Want to thank you all ,,,,,,,,, Been in buisness 18 years ,,,, always thought," Hey SCREW plastic , I don't need it ,checks are fine " After reading these post and getting several request latley to use CC's I have come on over !

I was on the fence till the other day; Lady I've known since Jr. high needed a new 80 gal electric h/w/h but just DOES NOT have the $ to give at this time from the bank . She says , " Cal do you take credit cards " . I had to say no , ,,,she went with one of the Big Boys , spent MORE $ and I lost out on it. Plus I couldn't help my friend ,, that SUCKED !

Decision made .

I'm like Mark ,,, I LOVE my bank ( B of Amer.) 2.12% + .40 per transaction /$ 10 month for the service . Small price for LOTS more buisness !

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I had to drudge this up to let everyone know that I thank you all for the advice on this subject and I processed credit card transaction #450 yesterday.

From 2006 to now is a pretty good stretch and I take it as second nature.

If I "didn't" take credit cards I would be losing sales instantly, especially in this down economy for many.

It's the cost of doing business, no doubt, and I have a plumber or two that will call me from time to time asking who I use and what it costs.

I actually prefer the credit card transaction as it keeps me from going to the bank and flirting with the women who are not available and are always showing tons of cleavage.

Yes...hmmm...this is a dilemma that has me troubled in real life.

But I keep going back :D for more! Moar!!!!

Down boy! Down boy! :p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks