(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: dishwasher or no dishwasher

Hybrid View

Default dishwasher or no dishwasher

Hi, how important is a dishwasher in a kitchen? In an older fixer upper home that has limited kitchen space, is it more important to install a dishwasher or a pantry? Thanks. Cathy

Dishwasher OR pantry.

That decission would have to be made by the person living in the house.

Which ever was more important to them.

Default dw

Which does the present homeowner want more. And also, if you were to sell it, which would make the kitchen more desirable to a new homeowner.

This is just personal opinion....I dont live there. But, in today's market, I believe you would be hurt badly by not having a dishwasher. You can figure out pantry space if needed....garage, shelving, furniture-type storage, etc. but I don't know anyone who is willing to wash dishes. If it were up to me to even LOAD and UNLOAD the DW, we would eat off paper plates!

For what it's worth, the first appliance my wife and I acquired when we got married, was a dishwasher. That was over 40 years ago. Since then we have had better models of DWs, but alway have had one. Now days, with both husband and wife employed, a DW is more than a luxury item.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If I had the room, I'd put in TWO dishwashers. I'd label one clean and the other dirty, and never take the dishes out and put them in the cupboard...designers are leaning this way, and you'll see it in more an more houses. You switch the label once you empty one. Throw a party, and you can use both to clean up the big mess quickly.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014