Moving natural gas lines in my kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

sandysellers

Reaction score
I bought a groovy new gas cooktop, and now I need to have the gasline moved. Can it go across under the floor? I am replacing the vinyl flooring anyway, so this would be fine with me! Guess I should have figured this out be for spending the $1500?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have a basement or crawl space under the kitchen, this should be OK. Virtually every municipality requires a permit for ANY work on gas lines. Some places allow a homeowner to pull the permit and do his own work, other places do not allow that. Check with your development services department.

sandysellers

Reaction score
The floor is above a finished basement, with wooden joists and wooden subfloor (I hope those are the right terms and spelling)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pipe can go there, but I strongly advise you to have a professional do the work. Not only do you want the job done correctly to avoid safety issues, but since this will be in the ceiling of a finished room, you want it to look good too.

sandysellers

Reaction score
So, they will go throught the ceiling in the basement and not through the floor in the kitchen? Guess I called that wrong! The area in the basement is in a large storage closet- makes the need for perfect patching a little less critical. I fully intend on having my favorite plumber, Dale, do all the gas work. He has restored my faith in the plumbing profession: Shows up on time, sticks to his estimate and leaves no mess. God Bless him! If you need a plumber in Davis County,Utah, let me know!!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The "picture" I have is that the kitchen is over the basement which means ceiling of the basement is the floor of the kitchen. (Joists inbetween of course) I suggest you get your friend Dale over to examine the job and then go with his recommendation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks