? Application of T plus 2 Rectorseal

Users who are viewing this thread

Handygirl911

Reaction score
I forgot to get PVC glue while at Home Depot. I have this Rectorseal T Plus 2Teflon Thread Sealant. What I am trying to do is attach a PVC cap onto a PVC pipe and a threaded adapter on the other end. I need this to have a good seal because I will be pouring Muratic Acid in the pipe to soak limed up stainless steel. My question is concerning the sealant. Is this a strong enough adhesive to seal the pipe fittings? Thank you for your advice.:)

tplus2-dope.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have serious doubts for this reason. So-called PVC glue is not glue or adhesive. It is a solvent that liquifies the surface of the PVC pipe and fitting for a few seconds while the joint is being assembled. It actually welds the joint together, much like metal welding where the heat liquifies the metal of both pieces being welded and allows the metal to flow together. Virtually any hardware store will have PVC solvent, and I suggest you get the proper material. Note: ABS is joined the same way except the chemical is different.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the chamber you have made is air tight and you pour the acid into it and seal it it could explode from pressure build up. Why don't you get a plastic open vessel and do this outside. Thread sealant will not bond, glue, or solvent weld PVC pipe.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sealant

I guess I misread your posting. I thought you wanted to use the sealant to connect a cap to the threaded connection, not "glue" the pipe together. There is no way it would make a leakproof joint, and since it is also a lubricant, the pipes would probably come apart even easier than if you had just pushsed them together without anything on them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks