3 Seemingly Basic Basement Plumbing Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

sbaitso

Reaction score
Hi all, in the final phases of replacing the old pipe in my basement. I've got three (easy?) questions...

1. Frost-Proof Hose Bib - How far into basement does the stem need to reach. The hose is going through about 10 inches of brick and concrete before reaching the interior basement space. I've got a 12" long Woodford Hose Bib... should the 2 inches it extends into my basement offer enough protection or will I need to special order a longer valve so it reaches futher inside?"

2. System Drain - If I install a boiler drain near my service entrance to allow me to serve as a system drain, should I place it before or after the Pressure Reducing Valve? My PRV doesn't have a backflow preventor.

3. Flushing New Pipes - Is it necessary to flush out new pipes after they are installed to remove flux and any other crap inside? If so, anyone have any idea how long to flush them for?

lumarksa

Reaction score
Question #1 The 12" frost proof hosebibb should work just fine for your application. Question #2 I would install the boiler drain valve after the pressure regulator. Question #3 The fluxes and solders that are used today are lead free and won't hurt if you ingest some residue from your pipes. However, I always flush my lines for a few minutes to clear what I can from them. Some plumbers are still using non approved solders and fluxes. I still carry some with me that I use on copper heatlines and drainlines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks