I need your help

Users who are viewing this thread

ab10685

Reaction score
I am working on a senior project for school and this survey will help me to make sure my project is reasonable and could be used in the real world. This is not an ad for a product. This project is for me to use all the skills I have learned in this engineering technology program in my high school. It isn't and ad because I do not plan on selling anything to you. I would just like some help from everyday homeowners. I just need 30 people to answer these easy questions and thats all I ask. I hope you understand. Thank you.

Are you a homeowner?

Do you worrry about your pipes bursting?

Do you shut off your main water supply before you go on a trip?

Would you be interested in something that could greatly reduce your chances of your pipes bursting?

Would you purchase a product that gives you a discount on homeowners' insurance because of the reduction of the pipe issue?

Do you have any stories or inportant information that would help me?

Comments?

Thank you for you time.... I will respond if you have any questions.

R

Rancher

Yes
No
No
No
Maybe
My last house was flooded while I was away, water companies high pressure booster pump went wild, washer hose blew out, washer and dryer were located in center of house... what idiot designed this house...

Rancher

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
yes
no
yes
maybe
maybe

Have had leaks from; pin holes in copper pipe, heat outage in winter with no one home - broken pipes. Never had a pipe outright burst.

Paul

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
It may not be an ad. But it smells like alot of marketing BS.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Do you hear a quack?

Yeah, but WTH...

Yes
No
Yes, but I always wonder why I do. I don't shut it off before going to work, or the supermarket, and a hell of a lot of damage can occur in a very short time.
Maybe; depends on the technology and the cost.
Maybe; depends on the cost/benefit.

Had a fitting burst on a prefessionally-installed water treatment system at about 4:20AM. Fortunately I go out to get the paper at 4:30, and heard the pump running and saw water flowing out from under the door to the pumphouse. Was able to stop the flow and make temporary repairs in about 1/2 hr.

R

Rancher

Walks like a Duck...

I know... but it was the Ashley signature that had the tears welling up in my eyes so I responded.

Rancher

Duane Smith

Reaction score
Yes
no
no
maybe
maybe
I already think there is a product that will control the water flow if sudden increase . No clue what it was but I know Carpet cleaners have been using it for years on hose breaks.

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am working on a senior project for school and this survey will help me to make sure my project is reasonable and could be used in the real world. This is not an ad for a product. This project is for me to use all the skills I have learned in this engineering technology program in my high school. It isn't and ad because I do not plan on selling anything to you. I would just like some help from everyday homeowners. I just need 30 people to answer these easy questions and thats all I ask. I hope you understand. Thank you.

Are you a homeowner?
Yes

Do you worrry about your pipes bursting?
No

Do you shut off your main water supply before you go on a trip?

Only the washing machine which I shut off water supply after every use regardless. Ive already learned that lesson, and the fact that I was home didnt lessen the damage anyway

Would you be interested in something that could greatly reduce your chances of your pipes bursting?
No

Would you purchase a product that gives you a discount on homeowners' insurance because of the reduction of the pipe issue?
Possibly, but no high tech or electronic devices. Froze my tail off last winter because of a computer chip in my heating system.

Do you have any stories or inportant information that would help me?
Only major leaks Ive had were from a toilet supply line, washing machine hose, and a failed water heater. Ive found that it's easier and cheaper in the long run just to have everything checked out by a professional every few years

Comments?

Thank you for you time.... I will respond if you have any questions

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rancher said:
I know... but it was the Ashley signature that had the tears welling up in my eyes so I responded.

Rancher

"Ashley" is probably just some big ugly guy named Vinnie.

Mikey

Reaction score
Thread creep alert

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog :D . Great scene in the movie "The Pelican Brief" this reminds me of.

Please forgive us, Ashley, for having such fun at your expense...

ab10685

Reaction score
lol

My name really is ashley. I'm not a guy... lol. Thanks for answer my questions though. it's ok if you guys were having a little fun with the whole thing. I actually found it quite funny.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not Convinced

I'm still not convinced this is a "senior project". What does Engineering Technology have to do with a marketing survey that talks about lowering your insurance if you buy some unknown product. You never said what kind of senior you are, High school or College. In either case, school just started the week of your first post. You mean to tell me you started on this big senior project the first week of school. I don't even remember having a senior project.

What exactly is this mystery project that's so big that Mikey has to wait for such a long while before you can tell him how it went?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, if "Ashley," or "Vinnie," would have just said it was a marketing survey, and not a "senior project," I'm sure more people would have responded. Hell,Terry has marketing surveys all the time on this website.

Last edited:

ab10685

Reaction score
The thing is... me and my class have to make a big schedule for the whole year for the senior project. Therefore it's not gonna be done till probubly the spring and at that point, it's only gonna be a prototype. Then we have mini projects in between like mousetrap vehicles and ROV's. That's why it'll take so long.
The reason for the whole lowering prices thing is because we are supposed to act like we are really making a product or as we call it "Workplace Standard." It's just a little way to make it seem more professional. My teachers want us to be prepared for the "real world". It's kinda hard now though since one of them is gone. :-( He passed away from a heart attack so now that leaves everyone sad and a little lost cuz he knew exactly how he was gonna have us do everything. Now we just kinda have to play by ear.

PS The name is Ashley... not Vinny

Last edited:

maddfrog

Reaction score
Give the girl a break

Why are you folks so untrusting?

I had a similar project when I was in grad school about 15 years ago. The class was divided into several teams and each team was paired with a local company that had a new product it was interested in selling. Our assignment was to try to find out if there was a market for the product and if so, devise a strategy for selling it. The company got some free marketing advice and we got some practical experience in a real-world situation.

In case you're interested, my group was paired with a local metal fabrication shop that had developed an exhaust mechanism for removing airborn pollutants while welding. They had developed the product for their own use and thought that other shops like theirs might have a use for it. We spent several weeks contacting metal fabricators around the country by phone and asking them questions. We found that we received a much better response when we identified ourselves as students right off the bat. Not sure if they ever user our marketing advice or not.

Mikey

Reaction score
If I were Ashley/Vinnie, I'd at least tell the world where the school was, and who the faculty advisor was, and how to reach him/her. Without something like that, my bogo-meter is in the red zone.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
ab10685 said:
The thing is... me and my class have to make a big schedule for the whole year for the senior project. Therefore it's not gonna be done till probubly the spring and at that point, it's only gonna be a prototype. Then we have mini projects in between like mousetrap vehicles and ROV's. That's why it'll take so long.
The reason for the whole lowering prices thing is because we are supposed to act like we are really making a product or as we call it "Workplace Standard." It's just a little way to make it seem more professional. My teachers want us to be prepared for the "real world". It's kinda hard now though since one of them is gone. :-( He passed away from a heart attack so now that leaves everyone sad and a little lost cuz he knew exactly how he was gonna have us do everything. Now we just kinda have to play by ear.

PS The name is Ashley... not Vinny

I find it interesting that your writing style has morphed from very professional with perfect grammar to very casual "teen" sounding, with poor grammar.

Not convinced yet Ashley/Vinnie:rolleyes:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks