Water Pressure Problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1931 home. There appears to be something wrong with the faucet system in the tub/shower. The hot water line appears to have low pressure compared to the cold water line. It looks as though the water supply lines were replaced with copper so I wouldn't think it was a corrosion issue. The faucet has a separate handle for hot and cold as well as one to turn on the shower. In order to get a comfortable temperature I have to turn the hot on all the way and barely turn the cold on. Could this be a problem with the valve within the cold water handle (It appears to be old), water heater, pipe sizing?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would remove the hot handle and hot stem and check for debris blocking the flow.

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I took the screw out of the middle of the handle, but could not for the life of me get the handle off. Should it come off? If so, is there a trick to it?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The handle is probably frozen. You can purchase a handle puller for a few bucks at a hardware store.

The alternative is using a channel locks and gently tugging on the handle and twisting it from side to side. There is a 50% chance that you will snap off the stem using this approach, so it's not recommended. You also need to use a rag under the teeth of the channel locks, so you don't ruin the handle.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You could also try a penetrating oil, which probably won't do much good, or a propane torch, which won't help much either. I would at least use the penetrating oil and let it soak for a while even if you use a puller and/or a torch. The best way is to lubricate the stem where the handle slides on when it is installed with a waterproof silicone-based gel, and remove the handle and re-lubricate about once a year thereafter :D .

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mikey said:
You could also try a penetrating oil, which probably won't do much good, or a propane torch, which won't help much either. I would at least use the penetrating oil and let it soak for a while even if you use a puller and/or a torch. The best way is to lubricate the stem where the handle slides on when it is installed with a waterproof silicone-based gel, and remove the handle and re-lubricate about once a year thereafter :D .

Just don't soak it in oil and then use a torch unless your fire insurance is up to date.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks