Flapper questions

Users who are viewing this thread

icosa

Reaction score
Hi all

I'd appreciate any advice on this. We have a toilet that I think is a Kohler although I can't see any brand on it. Recently the flapper has been leaking slightly so it does a half phantom refill every hour or so. I removed the flapper, cleaned it and reinstalled but that didn't help. I don't know what it looks like when new but it doesn't look particularly worn, perhaps slightly, its hard to tell. I did some quick research and read that sometimes the piece it sits (the valve seat?) also needs replacing which is obviously a bigger job.

So off I went to a local big box store and bought these items:

A really cheap plastic flapper http://www.korky.com/Flapper52.html

and this repair kit which is supposed to be an easy alternative to replacing the valve seat:
http://www.korky.com/Flapper2003BP.html

I installed the cheap flapper and it looked okay until I turned the water on. It was no good at all. Water just flowed under it. Now, looking at the kit and wondering if it was really a wise idea to add something "foreign" I decided to just try that flapper without adding the black sealing ring. I got it over the top and all the way down and it works very well. It seals perfectly so I proudly put things back together :)

The only problem is that we used to be able to give the handle just a quick flick and it would work like an avalanche, once started it would flow until the tank was empty. Now we need to hold the handle down for the duration of the flush. I guess the new flapper is heavier. It slams down and seals as soon as you let it go.

The original flapper looks like this:
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-291-toilet-flappers/flapper-with-chain-and-hook--641214.aspx
That's the only place I've found online that has what looks to be it.

Obviously, I should get the correct flapper. I guess my long winded question is how likely is it that the valve seat needs replacing? It doesn't look particularly worn or chipped or anything. Does the fact that this different flapper is sealing okay suggest that all would be well if I get the right flapper?

I came to the US from a country where dual flush toilets are legally required (where you choose half or full flush). I could certainly live with this problem because it makes it easy to do a half flush when that's all that is required but others in the house are complaining. :(

Thanks
Ross

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flapper

You did not read the directions. You have to cut that ring off and just use the two holes on the sides. Sometimes the "belt and suspenders" approach is okay, but not in this case. Also, you do not have to do anything to the seat, especially don't glue the adapter to it.

icosa

Reaction score
D'oh! :eek:

Thanks very much. Its working just fine now. No excuse although it wasn't so much "reading" the instructions but noticing and interpreting the picture with the pair of scissors.

Cheers
Ross

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks