Toto toilet keeps running

Users who are viewing this thread

Donna Shoemaker

Reaction score
I FINALLY fixed my 2 toilets and pass this to anyone else who has this problem.

The toilets flushed fine. But they would go to the top of the overflow pipe and keep running.

I took the whole assembly apart and cleaned all the parts. I must have gone on over 50 web sites and all of them say to clean the parts and bingo, all will run fine. Not. Or to reposition the chain or the level height. Not. Mine is an
O-max water pressure. I replaced the flappers and adjusted the chain. Still running.

So I was about to give up and replace the entire mechanism with a Korky replacement unit. But then I decided to replace the parts to these first - one-by-one.

I disassembled the entire unit. Took the hose off, took the blue cap off. Unclipped the float level (squeeze the arms in and it pops off) , then turned the cap 1/8 turn and lifted the insides out of the black plastic pipe. At the bottom is a white plug. One site said to just pull that out and clean the screen inside. But I had done that and it was not dirty.

I am telling you, I have spent 4 hours on these toilets. Finally I replaced the cap and the top with a Lavelle replacement cap. It has a red rubber cushion inside inside of a black one. The black one was clean and looked ok to me. But I was just replacing stuff one item at a time.

Well the cap did it. I have flushed the toilets about 10 times now and they are not running over at all.

Trust me, this cap did not look defective to me at all, but it was worn down over time and didn't seal properly.

The part is made by Lavelle and it says "Fits Model No 528" on the top of the small package. It says "Korky QuietFill Toilet Fill Valve" and under that it says "replacement cap" There are directions on the package back on how to do it. Cost me about $7.50 in California.

Good luck. I bought 4 of these replacement caps, because the guy at the plumbing store said that eventually they all wear out.

Hope someone else saves more time on this than I did.

Donna

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://terrylove.com/korky/

The link above has instructions too.
The (C) repair cap with the red rubber seal sells for $2.47 at Lowes and can be changed out in less than a minute without tools.

We normally have people turn the water off first,
Remove the cap
cup your hand over the fill valve and turn the water on slightly letting water flow into the tank.
This flushes the fill valve, there may be sand or grit that is preventing a good seal.
Turn water off, replace with new cap.

thu347s-03.jpg

Last edited:

Donna Shoemaker

Reaction score
thanks for the diagram. I couldn't find it and it really helps show which part the cap is. That lowe's site is one I found as well for cleaning out the filter screen. I think the filter screen is the $1.95 item, not the cap. But the diagram shows the cap. The cap is part C and the screen is inside E. Clean the screen, but if that doesn't work (and it didn't for me) then replace the cap.

D

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Mills

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I have the same problem with a Toto Carusoe. I'll replace the fill cap.

njf3

Reaction score
Toto Acquia Dual Flush running

I had the same problem with a Toto Acquia Dual Flush toilet.

When I took the top off the fill valve, I found that the floater that is meant to float up and close the valve was contacting the sidewall. This seemed to be constraining its movement and causing it to not close the valve fully. I adjusted it slightly so that there was no contact with the sidewall and it seems to have solved the problem. Just something to look for and try before you go out to buy replacement parts.

I thought I'd post this because I have not found this on any of the threads discussing this apparently very common problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks