Galvanized pressure tank 911

Users who are viewing this thread

shyleeblue

Reaction score
I just moved into an old house built in the 60's. we have a deepwell system with a 40 gallon galvanized pressure tank. The problem used to be that the pump never shut off and now it starts for about 30 seconds then quits and we have no water pressure at all. I do not know what brand of pressure tank or pump motor we have. The pressure builds up to 40 psi on its own while the pump is running, but as soon as the pump shuts off we have water for about 60 seconds and then nothing till the pump comes on again. HELP!!!! I need to know if I should be looking at the pressure tank, the pump, or both to solve this problem.

Raucina

Reaction score
Try not to listen to advice to buy a new bladder tank. Your tank is fine, it just needs some air. Open a low tap with the pump off and drain most of the water in the tank. Open any valve up the side of the tank if possible to allow air in. Close it up and turn on the pump and you are back in business. You probably have a device to get air into the tank that is not working any longer. Dial 911 only when the tank squirts water at you through a seam. Sears has a nice glass-lined tank for around 200$ for the day your tank really dies. If you are handy, an air compressor is a easy way to put the air cushion back in.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Glass tanks are a bad idea and so are galvanized tanks. Unless you stay up with them. Which most homeowners don't. The more you cycle the motor the quicker it dies. It's just than simple.

I wouldn't recommend the brand of tank that Sears sells anyway.

You can save money by trying to keep the tank aired up, or you can buy a bladder tank ( a good one ) and save money by not having to buy another motor.

bob...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Basically, the tank needs an air cushion to keep the water there under pressure. There are two generally available types: a bladder tank that uses a flexible air bag to separate the water from the air, and an atmospheric tank (may not have the name right) that relies on an air bubble at the top of the tank. WHen the pump runs, in eithertank, it compresses the air, but in yours, since the air is in contact with the water, eventually, if there is no way for it to replenish the air when it gets disolved in the water, the tank ends up full of water. Since water doesn't compress, as soon as you open a valve, the pressure drops to nothing and the pump comes on. This is not good for the pump, since it needs to come on each time you draw any water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks