(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toilet Clogged At Least Once Weekly

Default Toilet Clogged At Least Once Weekly

My toilet has been clogging at least once a week. I have to plunge it constantly. When I flush the toilet, it doesn't sound like it gets enough flush power.

What should I check? Even when I use the plunger it doesn't seem to unclog it very good.

HELP!!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Take a bucket and pour it down the toilet (not when it is clogged!) to check how well it flushes. See if it goes down well, or just slowly leaves the bowl. You could have a partially clogged drain, or it could just be a lousy toilet. They've made some great strides in the last few years, but some major brands still have dogs, so you can't trust a brand to always provide a great toilet.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Buy a toilet auger (snake) and really snake it out good. To get a better flush, you can adjust the fill valve to increase the amount of water in the tank and adjust the flapper to let more water out of the tank.

I concur with Jim D.

My first generation 1.6 galloner, and my old 3.5 galloner would plug up regularly. I finally had enough and bought a couple of Toto's and haven't plunged in almost a year. If you follow this forum (I don't know why but I do), you will also see that all new 1.6ers are not the same. Spend a few bucks more for a well designed unit and you can kiss the plunger goodby.

Thank you to all. I will try the bucket of water first and go from there. I'm sure this toilet is as old as the house. It was built in 1986.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I think that was the era when low-flow toilets started to be mandated...many manufacturers just cut down the water flow, didn't really re-engineer things. The performance was lousy. Even today, some brands are relying on their name - why people put up with it, I don't know. Anyway, read through some threads here and you'll get an idea of what other people think...there are some good toilets out there that will please you with their performance that cost a lot less than some of the better known name brands that won't please at all.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014