Is this legal plumbing in NYC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnnyfixit

Reaction score
I'm the local fix it guy for a large group of my friends and neighbors. A neighbor of mine recently came to me with this question. I couldn't answer and figured I'd find the experts who could.

My neighbor is getting his kitchen and bathroom remodeled. The house was built in 1935, attached/row house. During the course of the remodeling it was dicovered after the removal of the kitchen cabinets that there was no plaster wall behind the cabinets, just the cinderblock firewall that is in between all of the adjoined houses.

The water supply pipes come from the basement up to the kitchen sink and then feed the bathroom shower and sink. The pipes come up through the floor, they are encased about halfway into some plaster that was under the sink. 6 inches off the floor they T over to the left to feed the bathroom and also continue up to feed the kitchen sink. The pipes seem to be in relatively good condition from what I saw, but the guy who is remodeling his kitchen wants to do two things that got me questioning his thinking.

1. He wants to separate the feed line using PEX piping. I'm all for making it easier in the future to work on a house, but is PEX allowed to be used for plumbing in NYC?

Also, his kitchen sink vent line runs behind hs old cabinets, but will now be in the way of installing a new dishwasher.

2. Can you vent a normal kitchen sink like an island sink (looping vent) to save space and enable the installation of the dishwasher?

Those are my two questions. Can both be done legally in New York City without there being a code violation? I want to get back to my neighbor as soon as possible because I worry that he might be getting duped by his remodeling contractor. Thanks for your help in advance.

-Johnnyfixit

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
New York City plumbing

Unless someone from your area answers your best bet is to ask the local code office.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks