Hot water recirc line w/ instant water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

ffmedic7

Reaction score
I have an instant water heater (as backup for solar heated water) and was wondering if anyone has any experience using a hot water recirculation pump with a demand heater.
I understand that I will be circulating hot water back through the demand heater. Mine is designed to be used with preheated water, and has a modulating gas valve to turn off the flame when not needed.
I just want to hear about any other issues folks might have run into with this setup.

I do not have a return line, and have been looking into the valves that return back hot water into the cold line. Any thoughts?

Thanks and Happy Labor Day!
Matt

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you read the instructions, those that I've looked at specifically say do NOT use with a recirculator. Yours may be different.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe this would overwork the on-demand heater causing early failure. There are recirculating systems that do not require a return line, but I would suggest that if at all possible you install a return line and use a recirculating pump designed to be use with a return. I have such a system in my home, and it works very well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks