banging back flow preventor

Users who are viewing this thread

Ted Price

Reaction score
water is stored in an unpresured storage tank from a well. Then there is a back flow preventor followed by a pump and 40psi water tank. All works fine except when the presure tank reaches its desired presure and the pump shuts off the back flow preventor makes a loud bang. How can I stop the bang that also shakes the pipe going back to unpresured tank???

Ted Price

Reaction score
If I remove the check valve won't the presurized water flow back into the storage tank???

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From my limited experience, many pumps have a check valve built into them. Having a second one near the tank can create problems such as you indicate.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Jet pumps don't have an internal check valve, they require a foot valve when they have to suck water but in this case since it is flooded suction; which will always provide water for the pump with no suction required you can use a check valve on the pump outlet. That should stop the noise of the check closing against the weight of the water in the cistern tank. So put the check valve after the pump before the pressure tank.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
I agree with Gary that the checkvalve should be on the pump discharge. However, if the pressure switch sensing line is on the pump head, it will need to be moved to the pressure tank side of the checkvalve.
Ron

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks