Cure time for concrete patch

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am repairing a 12 foot crack in foundation before I lay down vapor barrier for wood laminate install. I'm using commercial grade Quikcrete (yellow tub)

What do you think the cure time would be before laying down the plastic vapor barrier??

M.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Depends on the width and depth of the patch. I would probably call the manufacturer. The product will set up in very short order, but how soon you can cover it with a vapor barrier is a different story..

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
confused about application

OK. I've never done this before.
This Quickcrete product instruction says to only mix enough to use in 2-3 minutes. I'm supposed to roll it in my hands and apply.

That's a lot of batches for 12 foot crack. It's about 1/8 inch Jim.

Did I buy wrong product?
I explained situation and store manager told me to buy this.....

Prashster

Reaction score
Latex modified mortars/concretes require oxygen to cure. If that product is unmodified then the vapor barrier will not impede the cure. If it IS latex modified, then it'll adversely affect the curing.

The MSDS for that product says '48 hours of damp curing' recommended; check the Quikrete website.

Fast setting stuff is usually appropriate for walls and overhead work where you can't afford sag or drip. But don't confuse fast-setting with fast-curing.

I'd return the tub for a sack of dry, medium setting concrete patcher - one that's entirely sand and cement (no aggregate). It'll trowel and feather beautifully.

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
OK. I'm returning this tomorrow. This the wrong product which is the 2nd bad recommendation from slowes store mgr.

This is primarily for fast fixes-underwater etc..

Any other recommendations for 12 foot X 1/8 inch concrete crack.
It has to be a fast curing time. I need to put down my vapor barrier/laminate soon (within one to two weeks.) If at all possible.
brand name would be helpful

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The question comes to mind, why do you care? If it were something like tile, that crack would need isolation, the laminate doesn't really care. The board on www.johnbridge.com gets a lot more traffic. They tend to think in lines of an isolation membrane rather than trying to fill a crack, since it can often break again on its own, though. They have people that do both, though (it is primarily tile).

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
The question comes to mind, why do you care? If it were something like tile, that crack would need isolation, the laminate doesn't really care. The board on www.johnbridge.com gets a lot more traffic. They tend to think in lines of an isolation membrane rather than trying to fill a crack, since it can often break again on its own, though. They have people that do both, though (it is primarily tile).

Well I didn't know that. Thanks. Others I've spoken to have said that when and if moisture/water reaches underneath the slab then THAT (the crack) will be where it comes up.

I see your point-it makes sense to me truthfully. And frankly I would like to not have to deal with sealing this 12 foot crack at all.

Maybe I've been getting mediocre advice on this issue Jim.
Regarding water issues FWIW and as I've mentioned I DO live in the most arrid city of anyone here.
High desert of SoCal.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If anything, I'd fill it with maybe silicon, put down my vapor barrier (which is typically required for that kind of flooring), and start putting it together.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
just spoke with a flooring guy and guess what he said:

"you dont need to do anything really...unless you want to put some silicone in there because of your vapor barrier...";)

that saved me some headaches. thanks again Jim You da man..

cure time on silicone is pretty fast isn't it....?
It's going to be a little tricky getting it in where the crack narrows...

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Do it today, cover it tomorrow...It won't be fully cured, but you don't really care. Most say 7-days, but you aren't really trying to waterproof things in the desert, but maybe keep ants and termites at bay. The top won't be sticky anymore overnight.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Do it today, cover it tomorrow...It won't be fully cured, but you don't really care. Most say 7-days, but you aren't really trying to waterproof things in the desert, but maybe keep ants and termites at bay. The top won't be sticky anymore overnight.

Followup:
I returned the Quikcrete and
just finished
filling that huge crack and it only took 1/2 hour. I used a 24 hour cure *Silicone 2 for concrete and masonry*. Spreads like buttah with a caulking gun & putty knife. Floor goes down on Tuesday....so it's all good. Thanks again Jim.

I don't know how that dood became store manager of slowes. The guy hands me this product used for emergency water patches. The kind of stuff you can use under water.
...and I don't recall telling him I needed to repair an oil derrick 20 fathoms deep in the pacific ocean....

regards,

Mike

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks