banging sound

Users who are viewing this thread

chaoster

Reaction score
After I replaced my old toilet with a new Drake toilet there is a bang in the pipes when the tank fills and the water shuts off. Is there a way to stop it? It's very annoying.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pipes aren't well anchored in the wall. When the valve shuts off, the inertia from the moving water quickly being stopped by the fill valve moves the pipe and it hits something. This is called water hammer. You can install a waterhammer arrestor. They come in various types, and from various manufacturers.

Attachments

• wh_arrester2.jpeg
    wh_arrester2.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,856

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the pipes bang, it's like JD says, it's a piping problem.
A water hammer arrestor may be in order.
I would also fully open the shutoff to the toilet.
Sometimes those are bad and the rubber washer can flutter causing hammer.

I would guess that your old toilet never really shut off before.
You should start seeing some water savings now.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
As close to the fixture as possible. Normally it's installed during the plumbing rough-in, and concealed in the wall. You might be able to mount it on the stubout somehow, with a tee. They're normally mounted vertically, but there's probably not enough room behind the toilet. However, I don't see why the captive-air type (pictured above) couldn't be mounted horizontally off the tee, with the stop valve repositioned after the tee.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
If it's the way I read it, I would just put a small expansion tank on the cold water line probably near the water heater. The way I see it, the hammer affects the whole water system and not just the toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For quick acting valves, to absorb the inertia, it is better to have the arrestor near the valve. An expansion tank could act as one if the water pipes coming in were banging, but wouldn't help the water column still moving after it nearly as effectively as one at the end of the run near the valve. NOw, if there was a PRV in the system, that little extra water to push the arrestor would store a very small amount of water under pressure, but it would be release as soon as another valve was opened in the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks