(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clogged Sink? Just replace all the pipes!

I always wonder under certain circumstances, why, a nice man like my husband had to die when he was a real sweetheart. Nice and gentle. A kind man. Never a mean word to a living soul. Just thinking aloud.

Call me Fluffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    I was just heading off to sleep when I thought I would check this for the answer to the caulking. I think if there is supposed to be a rubber gasket, then, I got a problem. Cause, their wasn't ONE.
    The gasket is on the other side of the tub. You probably have one, but just didn't see it. Look at this diagram where the arrow is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Go to the hardware store and in the toilet repair department look for a beveled, spongy spud washer. There are at least two thicknesses and there may be a less spongy black rubber washer. Buy the thinner spongy one, take it home and with the overflow plate removed, work the spud washer to the back side of the tub with the beveled side towards you and with anything sticky put it between the backside of the tub and your overflow pipe and put the screws back into the plate and tighten.

The spud washer is the same size as the overflow pipe.

The less you move the pipe the less chance for a leak.

I opened the overflo back up, and sure as shit there wasn't a gasket. But, Plumber 1, thank you for your info, but, Verdeboy already gave me the information I need. Plus, it looks like their was water down in there, which might explain the drywall on the ceiling.

I will have it fixed in no time. Have a good day.

Can't you make an access door in the room behind the business end of the tub? You sure could have used one.

There is an acess panel there for the electrical. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by plumber1
    Can't you make an access door in the room behind the business end of the tub? You sure could have used one.
    What P-1 means is that it's a lot easier to install this gasket from the outside of the tub. Usually there is a plumbing access panel, from which you can access the tub drain. If not, you'll have to scrunch up the gasket to get it through the overflow hole from the inside.

It is fixed. Thanks for your help.

I did it from the front and it was fine. Not that hard. Thank you Verdeboy. I also bought some product at Pool City to clean the jets, and that worked fine, too.